IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Court claim deadline tomorrow

Options
Hi

I've tried reading through the newbie's forum and other posts but I'm still unsure how I should respond to the court claim,

I have already done the acknowledgement of service but now have only until tomorrow the 28th day to submit my response.

My main response is there were no signs stating parking was not allowed, I was parked next to a park and not inside the large venue that is 200 metres down the road and there were no lines, it was just random cars they ticketed and I have a disabled badge ( it wasn't on display but was hoping I can say it fell or wasn't seen).
I did not receive any letters or images prior to this, the court claim letter was the first thing I received and I really can't afford to pay the extortionate amount they are requesting.

Can someone advise the best way to word this, the claimant is parking and property management limited 100010.7286

Many Thanks in advance :(

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 4 September 2017 at 4:14PM
    Options
    Why have you waited until NOW to ask for help? Why didn't you ask when you did the Ack of Service?

If you're at the stage of submitting a bullet list of defence points then quickly check other court threads for guidance. The NEWBIES thread (post #2 I think) has a run-through of the court process and (I think) guidance to how to phrase the initial defence.

Remember, at initial defence you're only identifying the defence points you'll be relying on ... fleshing them out comes at Witness Statement time. However it is important to make sure you have relevant defence points - you can't add new defence points later.
  • maria212
    Options
    ,I know I should have, I'm doing this on behalf of my sister and I was away after I did ack!
    Anyway thanks, the defences I have seen so far seem to be a lot more than bullet points?
    Do these cases always go to court I thought a judge would read the case and decide then we'd be informd by mail!
    DoaM wrote: »
    Why have you waited until NOW to ask for help? Why didn't you ask when you did the Ack of Service?

If you're at the stage of submitting a bullet list of defence points then quickly check other court threads for guidance. The NEWBIES thread (post #2 I think) has a run-through of the court process and (I think) guidance to how to phrase the initial defence.

Remember, at initial defence you're only identifying the defence points you'll be relying on ... fleshing them out comes at Witness Statement time. However it is important to make sure you have relevant defence points - you can't add new defence points later.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    it may not get to you actually going before a judge

but its ALREADY a court case and the chances are the initial judge will pass it to the next stage where they have to pay a filing fee and your local court is allocated, plus a judge to "hear" the case

your BB is irrelevant on private land (sorry to say) so although you may have a counter case/claim under the EA2010 , for this claim its DEFEND THYSELF using legal arguments as this is issued using MCOL

any "stories" or other personal issues etc will be for the WS later on , not now

adapt a recent 2017 defence and ensure it is accurate , because you are legally signing it and it will be seen by one or more judges
  • maria212
    Options
    Thanks guys, this is my draft please let me any comments or how I can improve it

In the (Court name)
    Claim number____

Between:

Company name v defendant name.

Defence Statement

I am ___, the defendant in this matter and registered keeper of vehicle ___. I currently reside at ____.

I deny I am liable for the entirety of the claim for each of the following reasons:

1) This Claimant has not complied with pre-court protocol. And as an example as to why this prevents a full defence being filed at this time, a parking charge can be for trespass, breach of contract or a contractual charge. All these are treated differently in law and require a different defence. The wording of any contract will naturally be a key element in this matter, and a copy of the alleged contract has never been provided to the Defendant.

2) There was no compliant ‘Letter before County Court Claim’, under the Practice Direction.

3. The Claimant failed to meet the Notice to Keeper obligations of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. Absent such a notice served within 14 days of the parking event and with fully compliant statutory wording, this Claimant is unable to hold me liable under the strict ‘keeper liability’ provisions.!

Schedule 4 also states that the only sum a keeper can be pursued for (if Schedule 4 is fully complied with, which it was not, and if there was a 'relevant obligation' and relevant contract' fairly and adequately communicated, which there was not as there was no clear, transparent information about how to obtain a permit either inside or outside the site) is the sum on the Notice to Keeper. They cannot pluck another sum from thin air and bolt that on as well when neither the signs, nor the NTK, nor the permit information mentioned a possible £323.26 for outstanding debt and damages

4. This case can be distinguished from ParkingEye v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 (the Beavis case) which was dependent upon an undenied contract, formed by unusually prominent signage forming a clear offer and which turned on unique facts regarding the location and the interests of the landowner. Strict compliance with the BPA Code of Practice (CoP) was paramount and Mr. Beavis was the driver who saw the signs and entered into a contract to pay £85 after exceeding a licence to park free. None of this applies in this material case.

5. In the absence of any proof of adequate signage that contractually bound the Defendant then there can have been no contract and the Claimant has no case.

a) The Claimant is put to strict proof that at the time of the alleged event they had both advertisement consent and the permission from the site owner to display the signs.

b) In the absence of strict proof I submit that the Claimant was committing an offence by displaying their signs and therefore no contract could have been entered into between the driver and the Claimant.!

c) Inadequate signs incapable of binding the driver - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:

(i) Sporadic and illegible (charge not prominent nor large lettering) of site/entrance signage - breach of the POFA 2012 Schedule 4 and the BPA Code of Practice and no contract formed to pay any clearly stated sum.
    (ii) Non existent ANPR 'data use' signage - breach of ICO rules and the BPA Code of Practice.
    (iii) It is believed the signage and any terms were not transparent or legible; this is an unfair contract, not agreed by the driver and contrary to the Consumer Rights Act 2015 in requiring a huge inflated sum as 'compensation' from by an authorised party using the premises as intended.
    (iv) No promise was made by the driver that could constitute consideration because there was no offer known nor accepted. No consideration flowed from the Claimant.
    (v) The signs are believed to have no mention of any debt collection additional charge, which cannot form part of any alleged contract.

d) BPA CoP breaches - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:!
    (i) the signs were not compliant in terms of the!font!size, lighting or positioning.
    (ii) the sum pursued exceeds £100.
    (iii) there is / was no compliant landowner contract.

6. No standing - this distinguishes this case from the Beavis case:
    It is believed that the claimant do not hold a legitimate contract at this venue. As an agent, the Claimant has no legal right to bring such a claim in their name which should be in the name of the landowner.

7. The Beavis case confirmed the fact that, if it is a matter of trespass (not breach of any contract), a parking firm has no standing as a non-landowner to pursue even nominal damages.

8. The charge is an unenforceable penalty based upon a lack of commercial justification. The Beavis case confirmed that the penalty rule is certainly engaged in any case of a private parking charge and was only disengaged due to the unique circumstances of that case, which do not resemble this claim.

The Defendant denies any liability whatsoever to the Claimant in any matter and asks the Court to note that the Claimant has:

(a) Failed to inform the defendant of the original parking offence and fine, moving to court proceedings against the defendant with no prior notice.

I confirm that the above facts and statements are true to the best of my knowledge and recollection

( I will add pics of the road that show signs only on one for and one hidden in a bush ).
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm doing this on behalf of my sister
    I do hope you've done everything in the name of your sister? She seems to be the defendant (from what you say). You cannot defend this in your name.

Your sister will have to attend at court. You can go with her either as her Lay Representative or as her McKenzie Friend. There is a difference between these and what each can do (check them out via Google - but not essential reading at this stage). Whichever, you need the judge's agreement for you to act at the court hearing.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You also have up to (at most) 5 days for service, so what date was on the claim form?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • maria212
    Options
    Date on form was 4th August, I did acknowledgement on 20 Aug and I calculated including weekends 28th day is Wednesday, is that correct? I never received response from acknowledgement but assumed it just means its done and can add my defence by 28 days. . Also I have done it all in her name as she is defendant and not used my name, ( she is 6 months preg tho and not been well so Im hoping it doesnt require her attending court!)
  • maria212
    Options
    Has anyone read the draft, will this be sufficient? Thanks
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Date on form was 4th August, I did acknowledgement on 20 Aug and I calculated including weekends 28th day is Wednesday
    Wed is not the 28th day but it is the deadline as it's the 33rd day - if, as you say, the issued date on the claim form is 4th Aug.

You must submit your defence by 4pm wed. Send it by email then your have time to make any suggested edits.
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In #2 are you saying the defendant has not received a LBCCC or received one that was not compliant?

Are you sure about #3? Have you done the necessary research to confirm they have not complied with PoFA?

5(c)(I) doesn't make sense

Is 5(c)(ii) correct? Was this an ANPR generated pcn or one attached to the windscreen by a parking attendant?

Does the defendant deny being the driver? The defence is ambiguous on this aspect.
    the Claimant has:

(a) Failed to inform the defendant of the original parking offence!
    Is this true?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport