PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

I have a court order of sale but...

Options
After a very long and expensive court process I have an order of sale for the house that I joint own with my ex husband. The order states that the applicant (me) shall have conduct of the sale.

My question is that while I dont live in the house, my ex does, because I have conduct of the sale can I now just put it on the market? Sounds ridiculous that Im asking but I'm just not sure...

Thank you

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but even if you can put it on the market how are you going to ensure access for viewings if you don't live there and your ex does, and he doesn't want the sale to happen? Or if he does allow access, what sort of state is the house going to be in?
  • I cant ensure any of that and as he hasn't responded to any correspondence from me, my solicitor or the courts in the 5 years it's taken to get this order it's doubtful hell cooperate now...its been a real effort that's for sure but court papers might make all the difference as he can't argue with those if I tell him Im now actually legally able to sell it
  • Mossfarr
    Mossfarr Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    A house near me has had a 'for sale' sign in the garden for over two years but the occupant has put a notice in the window which says "this house is subject to a dispute and is NOT for sale". Needless to say any viewers simply turn away.
    You have obviously paid a great deal of money to have obtained an order of sale so surely you should have been advised what you can and can't do now regarding the sale?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    INAL so take this with a pinch of salt. If there's a court order saying you can sell the property and he obstructs the sale, could you he be charged with contempt of court?

Could you get some order in place which would allow you to occupy the property which also prevents him from living there so that he can't interfere with viewings, etc?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What exactly does the court order say? As mentioned above it's not of great practical use if he's not obliged to vacate the property in advance of a sale completing (or preferably in advance of marketing).
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,422 Forumite
    Options
    https://www.hunteranduro.co.uk/2017/03/21/sale-home-non-compliant-ex/

You appear to have reached the final stage where the court has granted you "sole conduct of sale of the property"?

Presumably this means that since the property is in the jurisdiction of the court, then you can appoint an estate agent and accept a buyer's offer (within any restrictions on sale price specified in the Order)?

If the ex causes problems, you might need to make further representation to the court for a judge to sign the transfer papers?

Surely your solicitor is advising you on how to proceed?
  • PaulCooper
    PaulCooper Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe I'm being a bit simple minded here, but I'll let fly anyway.
    Put the house on the market, your ex will put barriers in the way of a sale. There won't be anyone out there to purchase the place at the market valuation. You buy the place at below market rate (due to ex's actions) Then evict him, pay him half of the sale proceeds (reduced value) put house back on market with vacant possession.
    Obviously I'm missing something, it might well say in the court order that you cannot be the purchaser?
    Best of luck
    Paul
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Options
    PaulCooper wrote: »
    Put the house on the market, your ex will put barriers in the way of a sale. There won't be anyone out there to purchase the place at the market valuation. You buy the place at below market rate (due to ex's actions) Then evict him, pay him half of the sale proceeds (reduced value) put house back on market with vacant possession.
    Obviously I'm missing something, it might well say in the court order that you cannot be the purchaser?
    How would the OP fund that? Not with a mortgage if they're not getting vacant possession on completion.
  • Thank you everyone I'm going to talk to a couple of estate agents tomorrow....not going to be any worse position than I am now :)
  • Mjrmum
    Mjrmum Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    You have sole conduct of sale so you choose estate agent, coneyancing solicitor and can accept offer (unless order says otherwise). If ex tries to scupper sale you will need evidence from estate agent (who will be doing viewings) and you can go back to court to have him removed. After that (or if you find a buyer with him in there), if he refuses to sign transfer deed you can go back to court and judge will sign it. Good luck, you almost there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure