MRZ ‘slightly’ tore but still readable. Please help..holiday in 6 days!

Options
Hi!.

I’m really worried, my passport is slightly torn at the bottom of the page in the middle, it’s about 1/10 of the page and goes in between two numbers on the MRZ. It’s still readable and the rest of the passport is fine. (I can’t attach any pictures otherwise I would)

The problem is we fly in 7 days from today to Italy from Manchester.

I have been to 2 different post offices and a travel agent and they all told me it would be fine BUT I rang HM this morning and asked the question (obviously they haven’t seen it) and they said I need to order a new one which will take 7 days after my appointment. The problem is there is literally no appointments until FRIDAY and I fly TUESDAY!.

What do I do ?!?!?!?!?

Thanks.

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 May 2018 at 5:33PM
    Options
    Who is gonna look at it ?

A machine or real person? Or both ? How many times?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Coreylewis23
    Options
    I!!!8217;ve only ever been on holiday once but from what I remember, you go through security who check your passport/luggage

and then airline check your passports when they check your boarding pass

And then immigration in Italy
  • richardw
    edited 8 May 2018 at 6:14PM
    Options
    Which airline from MAN are you flying and to which airport in Italy?

Are you checking luggage in?

Have you flown with this airline before with this passport?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    You've not mentioned that you've sellotaped the tear. ;)

I think going out of the UK, check-in staff look at your passport and so do the people at the boarding gate (usually the same people).

I think - but may be wrong - that they only look at photos.

IIRC, passports are no longer checked by Security or other agency when you exit the UK..
    Anyone - please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I realize you're looking for reassurance but like on the TA forum, nobody in here can guarantee you will be fine. My guess is you'll have no problems based on what you've said and it sounds like you don't have to option to get a new passport anyway.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    IIRC, passports are no longer checked by Security or other agency when you exit the UK..

They're not but will they will be checked and scanned upon in Italy. I had an Italian immigration officer complain to me that my passport was cracked a while back (which it was, I just hadn't noticed) but eventually he let me through.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    They're not but will they will be checked and scanned upon in Italy. I had an Italian immigration officer complain to me that my passport was cracked a while back (which it was, I just hadn't noticed) but eventually he let me through.
    I don't know.

I know in most of the places in Greece (islands), you just half-heartedly waft your passport roughly in the direction of (usually) the single guy on Immigration who waves a full planeload of tourists through in less than a minute. :D

On TA the OP posted:
    "I went to a travel agents earlier and they told me it looks fine and to check with a post office as they are trained????? I have been to 3 different post offices today and every single one said that it will work 100% as the chip and my picture has no damage and the machine only reads that."
  • Coreylewis23
    Options
    My only other option is to travel to the other side of the country and spend £80 travelling and £140 on a new passport and hope it comes in time
  • Coreylewis23
    Options
    Yes I need to remove that thankyou for reminding me :D
  • richardw
    Options
    Please answer the questions in post #4.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure