Got keys to new house - prepayment smart meter, how much to switch?

Options
There is a smart meter recently installed in the house we've just got the keys to. I've found out who the supplier is (Spark Energy), so I asked them to switch the account into my name on a standard tariff and I'll look into changing suppliers once we've actually moved in.

When I spoke to Spark they said "your account is on a top-up meter so we'll clear any debt and start you from £0". I've only ever had a credit meter, billed monthly, so I've asked to change to that and they've had to put the request in with another dept and said it could be a couple of weeks before I get an answer back.

From googling, it seems like some companies charge from switching from a top up meter to a credit one, but I couldn't find any info which explains if this is different because of the smart meter? Is it just a case of changing the account information, or will an engineer have to come out to switch us over?

I've also never had a smart meter before, so when I change suppliers is there an option to go back to 'normal' meters if the new supplier doesn't support smart? or am I limited in my choice of supplier because they installed the smart meter?

Sorry for all q's, thanks!

Comments

• Hi User1312

I just wanted to let you know that there's no charge for switching a PPM smart meter into credit mode. We do normally ask you to set up a Direct Debit though, as this gives you a cheaper tariff.

The change can be made remotely, so nobody will have to come out, and I can check up on what's happening if you need me to.

You won't be limited in who you can transfer to, as the smart meter will work with other suppliers, it's just more likely that your smart meter will become a "dumb" meter if your new supplier can't support the smart meter we installed.

If you want me to check up on anything for you, please email me using the address in my profile, and confirm your full name and supply address.

Happy to help if you need me.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Customer Relations Manager
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • User1312
    Options
    Thanks Jenny. How long does the process take to switch me over? Seems odd the person I spoke to from Spark said a couple of weeks if the change can be made remotely?
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Look at the heading for this section of the Forum and click on the sub-section
    titled "LPG, Heating Oil, Solid &other fuels"

There is a post on it at the moment titled 'Spark Energy', read thro' this and make up your mind if you want to still want to be a Spark customer or move to another supplier before you get in too deep.

EDF change meters for free
  • User1312
    Options
    Thank you just had a read and maybe not haha! Not planning to stay too long, will transfer my current supply over once we've changed to a credit meter and moving in. So hopefully just 3 weeks of Spark
  • User1312
    Options
    @Jenny

I have emailed that address but not heard back. Please can you escalate?
  • House_Martin
    Options
    User1312 wrote: »
    @Jenny

Just take up Sparks offer to switch to credit mode.They are one of the UKs cheapest for credit meters but only for their one year fixed deals. .Get it done before the next big price rise very soon.
  • User1312
    Options
    I'm trying to switch to credit mode with Spark but they're ignoring me :(
  • ChaunceyGardiner
    Options
    I’m not surprised after your previous comment ;)
    @Jenny

• User1312
    Options
    Yes may have burnt my bridges there!!

I've never tried to get in touch with a utility supplier and not even received an automated reply to say they've got the email! They haven't even sent me confirmation the account's been switched to my name, let alone updated me about switching to a credit meter.
  • House_Martin
    Options
    Yes may have burnt my bridges there!!

I've never tried to get in touch with a utility supplier and not even received an automated reply to say they've got the email! They haven't even sent me confirmation the account's been switched to my name, let alone updated me about switching to a credit meter.
    They have to do a credit history check like all suppliers do, so give them a few days.
    Its very important a supplier does not take on a serial debtor onto their books.
    If you do happen to fail Sparks checks, most likely the rest will fail you as well except maybe EDF who have a soft check unlike the hard checks by the rest.So switch to them first to get off prepayment meter rates. Prepay rates tho are now slightly better than standard variable tariffs but still no where near the best fixed deals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure