Laser eye surgery

Options

Comments

• Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the optician is concerned with your eye health they would refer you to an ophthalmologist and they will decide what treatment is needed some people get it done under NHS
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• ess0two
    ess0two Posts: 3,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had mono vision (one eye) done at Ultralase a few yrs ago.

Best thing ever,both eyes were marginal, so went with single eye only for distance,and the other is used for reading etc.

Takes a bit of getting used to but well worth it.
    Official MR B fan club,dont go............................
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Took me about 5 years to pluck up courage between the first appointment and the next two clinic visits, before my eyesight effectively pushed me into it. The procedure itself was absolutely fine, it was the dithering and panicking about who to choose that was the issue for me. On balance though, I still think it was silly money but I don't regret doing it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • mickeymouse303
    Options
    That sounds great! I'm slowly coming around now :rotfl:
  • mickeymouse303
    Options
    I think I'm starting to embrace it now! Thanks everyone, this has really helped. I'll book a consultation and see what they think. :)
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Book appts at more than one clinic. That way you can check they're offering similar suggestions, and query if they're not, and also get a feel for the place and who you feel comfortable with.
    And make sure you ask about aftercare and costs if there are any problems for any reason.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • mickeymouse303
    Options
    Ah yes, aftercare is one of the things I hadn't looked into that much - I'll definitely keep this in mind.
  • kirtondm
    Options
    If the optician is concerned with your eye health they would refer you to an ophthalmologist and they will decide what treatment is needed some people get it done under NHS

This isn't true - Laser corrective surgery is not avilable on the NHS. Prehaps you are confusing it with cataract surgery which isn't done with laser but microsurgery?

needing to wear spectacles is not classed as a disease so wouldn't be an eye health issue.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No I work in an eye department and there's many people who have laser treatment . Cataracts isn't done by laser
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Grumpygit
    Options
    I had it done about 6 years ago (now aged 46)

It is lovely not having to worry about glasses or contacts first thing in the morning.

However, as someone else has stated, it does depend on your age.

The consultant didn't give me 20/20 vision, preferring to leave me slightly short sighted for reading - which is fine however....

I do now need glasses for night driving (a confidence thing) as the glare is terrible - but driving glasses should sort that if you're younger (yellow tinted lenses which you can get from amazon for about £5)

Now, i do find that i need reading glasses - but that is more a factor of age rather then the treatment.

Do I regret it?? No I don't, on the whole it's brilliant, it's just when I need accuracy ie on the golf course do I wear them.

It all depends on your age and prescription - but I don't regret spending the £3,600 it cost me

Mine wasn't done in the UK with Optical or anyone else given that I live in the Channel Islands and went to Jersey and the consultant who pioneered Lasek (or Lasik can neber remember which) sorted me out.

Done in 10 mins (both eyes) and mild discomfort for a week or so but well worth it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure