Laser eye surgery

Options
Has anyone had laser eye surgery? I've been considering and asking around and I want as much info from people as possible. Is it worth the cost? How much of an improvement is it on glasses?

Comments

• BucksLady
    Options
    My husband had laser surgery at Moorfields Eye Hospital to correct his myopia. The surgery has been wonderful for him and he enjoys crystal clear vision.

Laser surgery isn't without risks and so it is important to take into consideration 'who' will actually undertake the proceedure.

Good Luck :)
  • mickeymouse303
    Options
    Thanks for responding - I feel like if I keep focusing on the horror stories I won't end up doing it!
  • fairy_lights
    Options
    I had it done last year and it was worth ever penny (and it cost a lot of pennies).
    I have a few friends who have had it done, all in their 20's and all are very happy with the results.
    I've heard that complications are more likely to occur in people over 40 due to age related thinning of the cornea.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do be aware that it is not suitable for everyone's eye condition.

An internet friend, who is very short sighted , was devastated after consulting a reputable London eye surgeon, only to be told that the procedure would not help her.
  • I had both eyes treated at Moorfields when they first started doing the procedure. I don't have 20/20 vision, but my fairly severe myopia is improved where I don't need any correction for day to day activities such as using a computer. The treatment now has improved greatly, and from a personal viewpoint would recommend it.

Best Wishes if you decide to go ahead.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 September 2016 at 9:16PM
    Options
    I had it done a few years ago.
    I wasn't planning to, as I didn't mind my glasses. However as I got a little older, I would have needed several pairs of glasses for close up work, distance (driving) and the computer. I was not able to have varifocals so the only other option was bifocals - that wasn't happening! And I couldn't keep track of one set of glasses, let alone three.

It did cost silly money. It was worth it for me to avoid the hassle of multiple pairs of glasses, but I'm not convinced it would have been worth it for me otherwise. You also need to have realistic expectations. My night driving is now a little more difficult due to glare, but I was aware of and accepted the possibility beforehand.

You also need to be aware that the old person shortsighted reading glasses thing will still happen as you age. I had one eye left slightly shortsighted, to stave this off for longer. This worked for me because my eyes were already like that - some people find it hard to deal with.

Get a list of questions, visit more than one clinic and don't go for one just because there's an offer on. One place offered me a deal but I later discovered that what was being proposed would have caused me huge problems.
    Having said all that, the procedure itself was trouble free and it's quite nice to walk down the street and be able to recognise people.

There used to be information on the website of the Royal College of Opthalmology, which I used to help me choose my options but I think it is now likely to be out of date.
    https://www.rcophth.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Patient-Guide-to-Excimer-Laser-Refractive-Surgery-2011.pdf

And

https://www.rcophth.ac.uk/patients/excimer-laser-refractive-surgery/laser-refractive-surgery/
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • I had it 5 years ago at Optical Express - best thing I ever done! Still got better than 20/20 vision and aftercare was great. Would recommend at least going for a consultation with them!
  • bigfreddiel
    Options
    I had my lenses removed and replaced with plastic ones.

Done on the NHS.

I was short sighted and now have excellent vision, only need glasses for reading which cost £1. My varifocals cost £400+

Cheers fj
  • mickeymouse303
    Options
    I was told that my prescription would be perfect for eye surgery but obviously the cost and the risk are quite worrying. But lots of people say they wish they'd done it sooner/it was worth every penny etc which makes me want to try it. I'm very cautious and indecisive haha!
  • hugheskevi
    Options
    I had it done over 10 years ago. I was not badly shortsighted, but enough to need contact lenses/glasses.

My eyesight was corrected to perfect levels of sight. Since then one eye has become marginally short-sighted, but not close to the level of needing correction.

The procedure was quick and straightforward, all done in a morning. Slight discomfort for a few days, a month of needing drops and that was it.

Cost a few thousand, but great value and worth far more than the cost.

Things are presumably even better now, 10 years on.

I'd do it without hesitation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport