Should Insurance Be Sexless - Martin's Blog & Site Vote

Options

Comments

• Paulgonnabedebtfree
    Options
    I currently work for a UK insurer and quite simply if this becomes law all insurers will increase rates to the higher risk levels. However, going forward occupation will have a bigger impact on rating information - eg majority of primary school teachers are female and this means statistically they will be better drivers. Sorry guys women are safer drivers on the whole. Whilst this means increased premiums the insurance industry doesn't really want it as the admin is a huge headache and cost.

I can see that insurers would lean towards pricing everyone nearer to the higher risk factor rates. They are businesses and they want to make money. However, to partly counteract this, do you think that there might be a move towards bigger no claim discounts - thus rewarding individual responsibility? Also, is there any room in the legal discussion for imposing much higher excess charges on those who have been stereotyped as a bad risk (this already happens to some degree?).

Martin asks about using biology vs. behaviour. That is probably a reasonable rule of thumb but there will always be exceptions.

My own situation with insurance is that I am always priced too high (or rejected) for life or health insurances that ask anything more than basic questions. Is it reasonable that I am assessed in this manner because most people who have been drug addicted either die very young or have serious medical issues and never actually break free from their addictions. I have been abstinent from all drugs including alcohol for a quarter century. Medical checks reveal that I have no damage apart from some very faint, old scarring on the arms. Some would argue that I deserve to be assessed negatively by a potential insurer - though maybe they should look at whether they want to punish me or whether they are looking at the cold, hard facts.
    So how far should insurers go in loading premiums and what sort of risks should they be permitted to take into account and which to ignore?
    Personally, I feel that it would be fair for an insurer to load my premium slightly on the grounds that there may be some permanent damage that is undetectable as yet (unlikely). However, they should also have the right to cancel the policy without refund if I did not maintain my state of abstinence (a state with which I am perfectly happy even when life seems like rubbish) because it would be unfair to force an insurer to maintain cover for someone whose addiction has re-activated.
    Under some definitions, drug addiction (probably wrongly) is classified as a disability. Would denial of cover, or extreme loading, be a case for the Disability Discrimination Act - or would it be reasonable to load due to past behaviour.
    BTW. I'm not trying to argue in favour of addicts (whether active or recovered) being allowed such insurances. I'm just bringing it up to make the point of "how far should we go down this route?".
    I have deliberately gone to the more ridiculous end of the argument as a sort of devil's advocate.
  • Underwriter
    Options
    Twiggy_34 wrote: »
    IF they do decide to increase premiums for female drivers, then it strikes me that it would be only fair to meet in the middle (i.e. raise premiums for women drivers by 50% of the difference and drop premiums for male drivers by 50% of the difference). If they are only planning to raise the premium for women and leave them the same for men, then surely all this is going to result in is more money to further line the pockets of insurance companies?

While I agreethat on the face of it, it looks like that should be the sensible option, the fact is that claims from males cost more. If the premiums for males are reduced, the insurance companies will lose money (the increase on women will not offset this loss) so everyone's premiums will have to go up. Whichever way you look at it, premiums will go up if this ridiculous ruling goes ahead.
  • Underwriter
    Options
    My own situation with insurance is that I am always priced too high (or rejected) for life or health insurances that ask anything more than basic questions. Is it reasonable that I am assessed in this manner because most people who have been drug addicted either die very young or have serious medical issues and never actually break free from their addictions. I have been abstinent from all drugs including alcohol for a quarter century. Medical checks reveal that I have no damage apart from some very faint, old scarring on the arms. Some would argue that I deserve to be assessed negatively by a potential insurer - though maybe they should look at whether they want to punish me or whether they are looking at the cold, hard facts.
    So how far should insurers go in loading premiums and what sort of risks should they be permitted to take into account and which to ignore?
    Personally, I feel that it would be fair for an insurer to load my premium slightly on the grounds that there may be some permanent damage that is undetectable as yet (unlikely). However, they should also have the right to cancel the policy without refund if I did not maintain my state of abstinence (a state with which I am perfectly happy even when life seems like rubbish) because it would be unfair to force an insurer to maintain cover for someone whose addiction has re-activated.

Although this is off topic, if you have truly been abstinent for 25 years and you don't have any other problems which can be associated with drug addition like mental health issues or another addiciton like alcohol (yes I know I'm generalising but I haven't got time to be more specific!) then you should be accepted at standard rates for life and critical illness cover and probably disability cover as well. Most companies accept people with a history of heroin addiction (the highest rated) after six years or so of abstinence.

What you propose about changing terms after the policy is in force would be totally impractical. For a start we have enough trouble getting applicants to tell the truth before their cover starts, they would never tell us of health problems once the policy was in force! And where would you draw the line - would people have to tell us if they had a heart attack, or put on wieght or took up smoking? It would not only be impossible to police, but the point of insurance is you apply and once you are accepted you have certainty over your cover for the whole term of the policy, so whatever happens to you provided you told the truth on your application form you are guaranteed the cover you paid for.

Anyway back on topic, hot off the press, it looks like the ECJ have upheld the challenge but it won't come into force until the end of next year...
  • Underwriter
    Options
    jayjones wrote: »
    It does not take a statistician to work out the loading is based on profit-driven discrimination, not statistical risk.

QUOTE]

sorry but............:rotfl:

That's just so wrong I don't even know where to start. I suggest you get a job as an advocate-general, she knows more than the entire world's actuaries with millions of accumulated years of statistics too!
  • meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nice time to take shares in some of these companies :snow_grin im off to do some research
  • mustrum_ridcully
    Options
    @jayjones

Totally agree with what you've said. Been driving for yonks, clean license (never had any points, never even had a parking ticket), maximum NCD (well over 10 years), but I have committed the ultimate sin - that of being male.
    "One thing that is different, and has changed here, is the self-absorption, not just greed. Everybody is in a hurry now and there is a 'the rules don't apply to me' sort of thing." - Bill Bryson
  • Herokingjohn
    Options
    Poll started 28 Feb 2011:

I don't believe there should be discrimination between gender, but now that EU have ruled, it seems the usual hike when it comes to taking the publics money, will now happen. If the insurance companies have managed with the premiums as they are how then can they justify hiking prices up? Surely this is just sheer proffiteering. Maybe my logic is flawed but shouldn't the premiums between M/F insured be balanced rather than insurers just making an automatic gain. Either that or charge higher premiums to those with claims/blame.

If they say this is justified as I'm sure they will, why then are they also now proposing that this change will lead to men receiving a smaller annuity income than they do now when their benefits are brought into line with those for women.

As usual it's a win/win scenario for the insurance companies.
  • stevemcol
    stevemcol Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    Options
    Whichever idiot brought this to court will cost us all money.
    The insurers will just increase all the premiums to worst case gneder risk.
    So now my wife's insurance will be the same price as mine.

No one will benefit.

Unbelievable.

Of course insurers should be able to charge according to statistical risk. And please, nobody else tell us how clean and shiny their driving record is; it's statistcal risk that counts when dealing with thousands of drivers.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • ozburt
    ozburt Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I may be going off on a tangent here but I believe
    this has ramifications in the way insurance premiums will be calculated in the future.

I can see the pros & cons behind this change and the points made on this forum.

However, if this is implemented then it opens a can of worms. Based on this premise, will this mean in future that all types of insurance claims are standardised?

Taking home insurance as an example: if someone lives in a 3 bedroom house in a crime ridden estate will they be entitled to the same premium as someone who lives in a similar property in a different area where there is no crime?
  • thebigbosh
    thebigbosh Posts: 298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just read an interesting article here:
    http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/traffic-transport/seven-year-old-youngest-driver-involved-in-accident-1.769535?

Although it's not the UK, it's easy to see here how, when insuring, you could easily base such things based on any number of discriminatory factors...
    School is important, but Rugby is importanter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure