Will Writing Services Ltd - Good VFM or a Con?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Vagabond3
    Vagabond3 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry, Errata. Just saw your post - yes it was a home visit.
  • g6jns_2
    g6jns_2 Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Options
    presaval wrote: »
    Im a will writer, estate planner and adviser, and that seems a bit high to me, is that based on storage only?

Did you look into any trust work? or any other things that can come into play when designing a custom will to suit your needs?

a tailored will service and advice in planning is always better than just a simple will.
    Such a sweeping statement is is simply wrong. Client's needs vary widely. The reality is that many "will writers" simply don't have the training and depth of expertise needed for a complex task. Certainly not all firms of solcitors have specialized knowledge in all fields of the law. That is one of the reasons that more an more firms have merged so that they can have staff who do specialize. A potential client needs to ask searching questions before choosing a firm to prepare their will.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    agree , suspect most "Will Writers" have no knowledge of Tax implications (IHT, Capital Gains etc) or the use of trusts
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    stevepett wrote: »
    I have spoken to the Director General of the Society of Will Writers, and he has confirmed that the society do NOT underwrite any future transactions.

Where a member dies or perhaps becomes ill and goes bankrupt, the Society aims to protect the public, and will normally undertake to finish off any transactions in the pipeline, but this does not extend to future work.

As I understand it the Society does not allow members to take advance fees for work to be carried out other than immediately, so anyone who has been told to the contrary should take this up with the Society or Trading Standards.

and Steve Pett

A Regional Director of the Society of Will Writers
    A director of The Probate Dept Ltd.
    A director of ALlied Professional Will Writers Ltd.
    A director of WIll Custodian Ltd

so works for them
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Vagabond3 wrote: »
    Sorry, Errata. Just saw your post - yes it was a home visit.

Anything in the firm's paperwork about a cooling off period? Cancellation?
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • g6jns_2
    g6jns_2 Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    agree , suspect most "Will Writers" have no knowledge of Tax implications (IHT, Capital Gains etc) or the use of trusts
    One thing I forgot is how many "will writers" have sufficient professional indemnity insurance?
  • Vagabond3
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    Anything in the firm's paperwork about a cooling off period? Cancellation?
    I'll double check with my sister but she told me the other day she could not find any mention of this in documentation.
  • Dr_Jacuzzi
    Options
    Just had a visit by WSL this evening.

Of course I checked here and other sites beforehand, no point in going to a sword fight armed with nothing but a gullible grin and a credit card.

My initial reaction is that I was pleasantly surprised.
    I have a finely tuned BS detection meter but it didn't register any red flags and only quivered slightly at some of the sales pitch.

There was definitely NO hard sell. The basic mirror will package was £135, There was an intermediate package which included secure storage for life and unlimited will updates and of course the full Monty package with probate advice services which is now a little over £1000 spread over 15 months.

There was NONE of this BS about: "Let me call my manager and see if we can get you a discount." He just laid it on the line and said this is how much it is and this is what you get for your money. Quite refreshing really.

No commitment was required (or asked for) regarding their premium services or any other services. If you don't do anything they just assume the basic package.

The salesman seemed knowledgeable about tax law and probate and was very professional. In fact, probably one of the most professional, clear and concise salesmen I've ever had in my house, having suffered 35 years of con-men, scam artists and hard sell shysters.

Overall I'm very happy with WSL so far.

(No, I do not have any connection with WSL other than as a customer).

Of course if things do start to go pear shaped, I'll be back here to update this review with as much venom as the libel laws allow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure