Minimum transfer time question

Options
I'm in the early stages of planning a trip which will see me needing a one way ticket back to the UK.

The nearest airport will be a regional Spanish airport which, unfortunately means if I want to get back to an airport near home, I've got to have connecting flights potentially with different airlines

So what's the minimum length of time I should realistically plan for?

Comments

• stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    I often do that for flights to North America, fly out to Dublin with Ryanair, usually the night before. Now if doing this on the same day with different airlines is a risk in case your positioning flight is delayed or cancelled. Therefore I would aim to get a flight that has a back up of another flight later that day or has other forms of transport to your destination with time to spare . If you can get your flights on the same tickets on the same airline network, if there are any delays the airline should accommodate you in the event of any delays etc.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    stevie11 wrote: »
    I often do that for flights to North America, fly out to Dublin with Ryanair, usually the night before. Now if doing this on the same day with different airlines is a risk in case your positioning flight is delayed or cancelled. Therefore I would aim to get a flight that has a back up of another flight later that day or has other forms of transport to your destination with time to spare . If you can get your flights on the same tickets on the same airline network, if there are any delays the airline should accommodate you in the event of any delays etc.

Thanks - whilst I'm only in the planning stages at the moment (need 15 months to save up!) I thought I'd look to see what routes back home I could take and it looks like a minimum of 2 flights lol

I would prefer to have the same airline for both flights but will have to wait & see what I can get
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Could you be a little more specific and provide more information?

Your location in Spain, preferred Spanish departure point and UK arrival point?

Does it have to be a flight? Are you in northern Spain and therefore would consider a ferry sailing?

You now also mention 15 months time. Flight schedules and options for November 2019 will very likely widely differ in departure options from the May-October months.

A flight ticket with true connections via say MAD could allow a connection of perhaps 60 minutes minimum. If you are delayed on the first sector the airline will reaccommodate you on a later flight. If booking two separate tickets via say MAD or BCN then I would personally allow at least 4-5 hours.

I think giving us appropriate information will yield better ideas and suggestions from MSE users.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I'll be saving up to walk the Camino de Santiago so the nearest airport the Spanish end would be at Santiago.

The nearest U.K. airport to me would be Cardiff - though I appreciate for practical purposes it might as well be Bristol.

I've looked at the routes now as the question crossed my mind how would I get home - I appreciate nothing that far advance is set in stone - and like I said it's a 2 flight minimum job.

So far I can see these options:

Flying to Madrid and then onto Bristol
    Flying to Amsterdam and then onto Cardiff
    Flying to Dublin and then onto Cardiff
    Flying to Bristol and then onto Bristol
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,990 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 August 2018 at 8:22AM
    Options
    As Westin says, it depends on a lot of variables; some things you can predict, but some you can't. I assume you mean to fly from Sapin to the UK, then on to another UK airport? So it depends on

- which UK airport airport you plan to fly into then transfer within and whether you are travelling at a busy time; for example at LCY- London City, my tiny local airport, it only takes a couple of minutes to walk from the aircraft to border control, where I never have to queue more than 5-10 minutes. And when departing with hand luggage and on-line check-in, I could get back through security and to the gate for an outgoing flight in 10-20 minutes, so an hour's turnaround would (just) give me time to buy a snack and coffee; whereas at Gatwick or Stansted I always allow 1.5-2 hours to queue for security then the long walk to the gate. So a turnaround of less than 3-4 hours would make me nervous, especially if flying on two separate tickets with two carriers

- whether the 1st flight lands on time? Most do, in that in about 50 flights with cheapos like Ryanair or Easyjet I've only ever had 2 delays and 2 cancellations; but if you miss the second separate flight you'll have to buy a new, more expensive (air or rail) ticket on the day

- whether you can find a carrier who will give you a through ticket? I once flew home (I think with Iberia) from Asturias airport with a change in Madrid and Vuelling do Asturias to Manchester with a stop in Barcelona. So you're safe as if there's a delay, they are obliged to look after you.

- if you are travelling with hand baggage only (which will speed things up considerably as you won't have to wait the typical 15-30 minutes in the baggage hall after your first flight, then queue at the baggage drop for the second one )

- whether (if you have to use 2 airlines) you are able to check in online for the second flight so that you can go direct to the gate (especially if travelling with hand luggage only)

So the answer could be anything from 1-4 hours... but more likely to be the latter; and using separate airlines poses a slight risk
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    AlexMac wrote: »
    As Westin says, it depends on a lot of variables; some things you can predict, but some you can't. I assume you mean to fly from Sapin to the UK, then on to another UK airport? So it depends on

- which UK airport airport you plan to fly into then transfer within and whether you are travelling at a busy time; for example at LCY- London City, my tiny local airport, it only takes a couple of minutes to walk from the aircraft to border control, where I never have to queue more than 5-10 minutes. And when departing with hand luggage and on-line check-in, I could get back through security and to the gate for an outgoing flight in 10-20 minutes, so an hour's turnaround would (just) give me time to buy a snack and coffee; whereas at Gatwick or Stansted I always allow 1.5-2 hours to queue for security then the long walk to the gate. So a turnaround of less than 3-4 hours would make me nervous, especially if flying on two separate tickets with two carriers

- whether the 1st flight lands on time? Most do, in that in about 50 flights with cheapos like Ryanair or Easyjet I've only ever had 2 delays and 2 cancellations; but if you miss the second separate flight you'll have to buy a new, more expensive (air or rail) ticket on the day

- whether you can find a carrier who will give you a through ticket? I once flew home (I think with Iberia) from Asturias airport with a change in Madrid and Vuelling do Asturias to Manchester with a stop in Barcelona. So you're safe as if there's a delay, they are obliged to look after you.

- if you are travelling with hand baggage only (which will speed things up considerably as you won't have to wait the typical 15-30 minutes in the baggage hall after your first flight, then queue at the baggage drop for the second one )

- whether (if you have to use 2 airlines) you are able to check in online for the second flight so that you can go direct to the gate (especially if travelling with hand luggage only)

So the answer could be anything from 1-4 hours... but more likely to be the latter; and using separate airlines poses a slight risk

I have to admit I was thinking 4 hours as well .

Will probably have to put the walking pack in the hold as I guess
    it will be too large for hand luggage.

And there was me thinking the difficult bit would be the walk lol
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Depending on your day of travel a flight Santiago de Compostela (SCQ) to Cardiff or Bristol could be a fair ond trip. Based on this November the best I could see was Aer Lingus up to Dublin and then back to Bristol but that was 16h30m.

Vigo (VGO) is south of Compostela and Air Europa/KLM via SMS might work.

As a wild card, have you thought about taking the coach or train into Portugal and flying back from Oporto. Easyjet have a direct OPO BRS service and a random date this November was only £45.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Westin wrote: »
    Depending on your day of travel a flight Santiago de Compostela (SCQ) to Cardiff or Bristol could be a fair ond trip. Based on this November the best I could see was Aer Lingus up to Dublin and then back to Bristol but that was 16h30m.

Vigo (VGO) is south of Compostela and Air Europa/KLM via SMS might work.

As a wild card, have you thought about taking the coach or train into Portugal and flying back from Oporto. Easyjet have a direct OPO BRS service and a random date this November was only £45.

Must admit I hadn't considered Portugal but a quick search says that that's a popular route home lol.

Thanks for that - certainly something to bear in mind
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,990 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good luck on the Camino in autumn; assuming you're doing the "Camino del Norte" through Cantabria and Asturias. The Costa Verde; green coast, is called that for a reason; it rains a bit! We drive that region and while there are many scenic footpath versions, many pilgrims have opted to walk on metalled roads; I see them grimly trekking along the hard shoulder of main roads with staffs, cockleshells, and waterproofs over their packs. Doesn't look much fu but there are country path alternatives
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    AlexMac wrote: »
    Good luck on the Camino in autumn; assuming you're doing the "Camino del Norte" through Cantabria and Asturias. The Costa Verde; green coast, is called that for a reason; it rains a bit! We drive that region and while there are many scenic footpath versions, many pilgrims have opted to walk on metalled roads; I see them grimly trekking along the hard shoulder of main roads with staffs, cockleshells, and waterproofs over their packs. Doesn't look much fu but there are country path alternatives

Ah I'll need to save up first & was planning to do it spring / early summer & was planning on the 'touristy' Camino Frances ....well at least at first!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure