whats Average amount of driving lessons needed to learn an automatic?

Options
13»

Comments

• Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been driving for over 50 years and have had an auto for the last 14 of them.

I was a late convert to auto boxes having been put off by the old 3-speed boxes on Fords and M-Benzes back in the 70s/80s.

But the latest auto-boxes are superb - especially the 8-speed ones.

They make a car faster and more economical than the equivalent manual model.

Of course the high end marques such as Porsche and Ferrari gave up on manuals some time ago.

It's very unlikely that I'll ever buy another manual-box car again.

I have much more control over when it actually changes gear (and faster gear changes) just by altering the pressure on the accelerator.

Initially I said earlier in this thread that the OP wouldn't learn to drive any quicker with an auto box than a manual - but after a rethink and reading the later posts I have changed my mind.

So I now say to the OP - 'Go for it!'
  • colin79666
    Options
    Ten years ago I'd have said go for manual unless medically unable to drive one. Now given that the world will be going electric and all that seems to be auto I don't think manual will be as important in the future.

I took around 25 lessons in a manual with probably 10 hours private practice on-top. That was 1 lesson a week and I think learning to drive is something better not rushed. I passed first time and unlike some peers who did an intensive course and took 3+ attempts to pass, I did not go straight out and write off my first car! Learning takes time and although you can scrape through with enough knowledge of what to peddles press it takes time to build up experience - something that is needed to stay out of trouble.

The number of lessons needed depends per candidate and if you can get some practice in between going out with the instructor but don't rush it.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    That's much less of an issue these days, with a very wide variety of two-pedal cars in all sizes rapidly becoming the default.

I don't think all 2-pedal cars count as automatic though, there's a few clutchless manuals, flappy paddles etc.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    I don't think all 2-pedal cars count as automatic though, there's a few clutchless manuals, flappy paddles etc.
    The legal line is drawn at the presence or absence of a clutch pedal - semi-autos have been around for decades, with the concept of footless stirring well established.

The presence or absence of whatever degree of electrickery behind it all makes no difference.
  • Sprinkly
    Options
    I drive automatic and it's just stop and go. Its mostly brake work but no stalling hurrah! It's learning about the traffic and roads that takes a while....although don't know what all the fuss was about!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure