how to install wireless access points throughout house

Options
I'm having a house renovated, and as it's quite spread out (over three storeys) with lots of internal walls I thought it'd be a good idea to get some permanent wireless access points fitted. However I'm not very technical at all so I am finding the process a bit confusing! Could anyone very kindly help with the following:
  • Would each access point simply individually connect to my router via ethernet cable? (which would plug into the LAN ports on the back of my router -- if I don't have enough LAN ports I know I can use a switch to add more)
  • Presumably each access point also needs a mains power supply alongside its ethernet connection?
  • Once the access points are powered and connected to my router, will they work immediately? Or is some kind of configuration needed?
  • Can anyone recommend a set of wireless access points to buy? There seem to be so many on the market and as I say I'm not very technically minded so the advertised specifications don't mean much to me!
Very grateful indeed for any help.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 September 2017 at 10:42AM
    Options
    Yes, you can cable them. Personally if it were me I'd use a mix of wired and wireless. Wired for example run to the room which is going to be a home office and the one where your entertainment equipment (TV/Sky box/Games console) is going to be, personally I'd have a wired RJ45 socket in each room and you can do that when the electrician is doing their first fix and place the network socket near a mains socket. Number each of the RJ45 faceplates and access points and each of the cables feeding them at the switch end of each cable with the same number to help fault diagnosis in the future. Nothing worse than turning up to a networking fault with 16 cables plugged into a switch with no labelling then having to figure out which one goes to the room where there is a fault.

You can get stuff which uses Power Over Ethernet, PoE but you need your switch to support it to supply the devices. Ubiquity wifi network gear which I recommend for a serious install uses PoE.

For access points, personally I'd use Ubiquiti UAC access points placing them on the ceiling, one on each floor to provide coverage as the picture below. These are commercial units so work very well.

IMG_5828-768x1024.jpg
  • alexanderalexander
    alexanderalexander Posts: 325 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 September 2017 at 12:51PM
    Options
    Thank you very much for your advice.

So, if I just buy a 3-pack like this one and connect them to my router by ethernet cable via a switch like this one, will it basically be a one-off "plug in and go"? (Or could I even just run a cheaper switch which doesn't do Power-over-Ethernet using the PoE adaptor that is provided?). I'm a bit worried as one of the reviews mentions web management software, but is this only necessary if you want to particularly optimise the connection?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes pretty much that and use either the switch or the adapter but the adapter means one more plug and one more set of leads per device so doing it with the switch makes it a lot neater. Personally though I'd look at the APs they do that do both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Whilst the ones you listed are 802.11n it is 2.4GHz only and if you do a quick wifi scan of the area you'll find that 2.4GHz is jam packed full of wifi networks and there's not many wifi networks at all on 5GHz.

The web management software is very good and using it is no different to how you would configure your wireless network on your ISP provided router. It does however have more advanced options for those who want to do tweaking to wring every last ounce of performance out of them.
  • I_have_spoken
    Options
    Plenty of Youtube videos on Ubuquiti PoE installs, e.g.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btot71A-Qyc
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    • Would each access point simply individually connect to my router via ethernet cable? (which would plug into the LAN ports on the back of my router -- if I don't have enough LAN ports I know I can use a switch to add more)

Yep -- that's exactly right.

• Presumably each access point also needs a mains power supply alongside its ethernet connection?

Yep -- unless you use PoE (power over ethernet). The "simple" way is just to have a plug socket handy for each access point.

• Once the access points are powered and connected to my router, will they work immediately? Or is some kind of configuration needed?

No -- you'll need to configure them. Configuration should be fairly minimal -- it's really just a case of making sure the access points are on the correct subnet.

To set them up, you'll need to disconnect a PC from your network and plug it in to the access point with an Ethernet cable. You should then be able to configure the settings by typing in an IP or web address into a browser.

• Can anyone recommend a set of wireless access points to buy? There seem to be so many on the market and as I say I'm not very technically minded so the advertised specifications don't mean much to me!

I'm not sure which ones are any good, but I'd start by looking at some of the well-known brands, like TP-Link, Linksys, Netgear, Cisco, etc.
  • alexanderalexander
    Options
    Thank you again to everyone who has replied.
    Plenty of Youtube videos on Ubuquiti PoE installs, e.g.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btot71A-Qyc

Thank you that video was very useful. It did raise a couple of questions for me though:
    -- he installs a new router (which he describes as a "unified gateway"), but would my existing bog standard ISP-provided router do without any modification?
    -- he also installs a "cloud key"; I have to admit it wasn't really at clear to me why that was necessary. Should I just get one and not worry about what it's actually doing?
  • gazter
    gazter Posts: 931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you want a non technical,solution that does all the hard work for you, google Wi-fi might be a better solution for you. I hear good things about it.
  • forgotmyname
    Options
    Being renovated, just run CAT6 cables.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The best approach is to install Ethernet cables under the floorboards if possible, that's the most reliable method

If that isn't possible then buy some HomePlug WiFi extenders. They let your Wifi devices connect to a local access point and connect to your router over your powerlines.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • alexanderalexander
    Options
    Thanks again to everyone who's replied.

At risk of being a bit needy, can anyone enlighten me re the below:
    Thank you that video was very useful. It did raise a couple of questions for me though:
    -- he installs a new router (which he describes as a "unified gateway"), but would my existing bog standard ISP-provided router do without any modification?
    -- he also installs a "cloud key"; I have to admit it wasn't really at clear to me why that was necessary. Should I just get one and not worry about what it's actually doing?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure