Please help im terrified

Options
Hi. First post. Desperate for advice.
Last year, over the course of around 9 months i managed to rack up 8k of debt. Im a stay at home mother with no job. I did this by lying on credit applications. I put that i earned around 40- 50k (my husband earns 35k, i earn nothing). At the time i didnt see it as lying...i told myself that my husbands income combined with what i would earn "when i get a job" would come to that. Obviously...i never got that job i wanted and my husband is in an iva so we dont actually get much of that 35k anyway.

Im currently applying for a dro. Payment will go in next week. Im absolutley terrified i will either a)not be approved b) it will be revoked when they figure out i wasnt earning 50k or c) i will go to prison.

I have children. Babies. Im a good person i dont know why i even took out the credit...it all went on xmas and my kids. I just wanted them to have a good life and ive just totally messed everything up. At the time it didnt feel like lying...it just felt like..i dont even know.

I cant go to prison. Im so so scared i cant sleep or eat and im a total mess. I wish i could just pay the 8k off but i cant...i have no one who can lend me it or pay it for me. A dro is my only option. I cant afford bankrupcy.

I dont know what to do.

Comments

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You won't go to prison.

You did lie, and your reasons will not wash. Nor will "I'm a good person", I've no doubt that you are but that doesn't change what you did.

You need to be honest when applying for the DRO. It won't necessarily mean you are refused, but any debt arising from fraudulent actions will not be written off at the end of the DRO.

You don't make children happy through money. Speak to your GP about counselling to address any other issues in your life.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 28 April 2018 at 4:29PM
    Options
    Lying on a credit application can have serious consequences.

Applying for a DRO will open your application to scrutiny, and if the loans are found to be fraudulent applications, they will not be included in your DRO.

8k is not a hugh amount, i would say its best not to apply for the DRO in the circumstances you describe, as there is a good chance you will be found out, your last two years history are looked at, and if no evidence of income is there, questions are likely to be asked.

Your best option is to try and find work, and pay what you can, when you can, write and tell the creditors you have lost your job, or words to that effect, as it appears you have no assets or job, there is nothing really they can do to you, and your secret will remain a secret.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure