PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• getting-sorted-sarah
    Options
    Nicki_Sue wrote: »
    Do any of you make your own bread? I wouldn't know where to start but may be getting holding of a voucher to buy one.
    What I really want to know before I buy one is:
    Did you find it a good idea cost-wise?
    What would I need ingredients-wise?

I don't want to use the voucher on this if it is going to cost me more in the long run.

Had a bread maker - chucked it out, complete waste of time and money! Bread is easy and quick to make, and cheap, if you have a few minutes to dedicate to it. Can post EASY recipes if you like!
  • Nicki_Sue
    Nicki_Sue Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Had a bread maker - chucked it out, complete waste of time and money! Bread is easy and quick to make, and cheap, if you have a few minutes to dedicate to it. Can post EASY recipes if you like!

Do and I'll give it a go. Time is an issue (really, I work insane hours around the kids) but would prefer handmade. I hate baking (love cooking bizarrely) but will definitely give it a go.
    Thanks, much appreciated.
    MSE-ing since 2007
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Have to add another £5.10 to my total, had to pop to the shop for fruit, yogurt and dgs got a wee treat too. Gave in and bought a can of diet coke yesterday, I am trying to stop drinking it altogether, only bread to buy today,

Will update my signature
    Every days a School day!
  • mumoftwo
    mumoftwo Posts: 1,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Make sure you menu plan while they are all home! I cook a few different dishes at a time so that we can choose and have time to do other things. It is always the lack of menu planning that has let me down in the past. I am going to put my spare food in my "other" fridge and put the lock on it as otherwise people just mindlessly grab stuff they shouldn't and don't follow the menu! That reminds me-I MUST do that, NOW!:eek::rotfl:

That is exactly what I did! Made a 7 day menu plan and wrote down the ingredients on a shopping list and extras for breakfasts, lunches etc. Didn't buy anything other than what was on my list. I am hoping that there will some stuff left to carry over into next week. I definately feel more in control but I need to reign in the spending.

DD had fantastic exam results yesterday so she wanted a chinese take away to celebrate, so another £18.30 to add to my total, since it was a meal, I am going to include it into my food budget for this month, but that does mean the meal I had planned will carry on for next week.

quick question: I bought 2 packs of little new potatoes on YS, the bbd was yesterday, but being potatoes, look absolutely fine, I don't want them to go green. Can I roast them or even steam them and then freeze them? Or would they go funny?
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    i use my bread maker every week for making a pizza base for saturdays pizzas. should really make more bread, when i did everyone said they much prefered the taste to shop bought.

salad new pots and veggie sausages for tea last night

need to bake a couple of weetabix cakes tomorrow and a couple of traybake cakes
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,567 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally I don't like cooking and freezing potatoes but I know others do this. The texture just seems wrong to me.

The best way to stop potatoes going green is to keep them in the dark. I have a potato bag which is just a black lined cotton bag with a drawstring top and a zip in the side to get potatoes out from the bottom so you use the oldest ones first.

Denise
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 August 2013 at 9:42AM
    Options
    Nicki_Sue - try this recipe for soft bread rolls - they are literally amazing, I make them every week now and could just eat all of them up at once if I didn't freeze them to make OH's sandwiches during the week. Until I found this recipe he insisted on shop bought rolls:

1013D244-1DEB-49B5-8173-A4786A281EE4-9066-0000051A83E065A0_zpse9085fb3.jpg

Soft bread rolls (makes 6)
    • 200g strong brown flour
    • 250g strong white flour
    • 2 tsp easy blend yeast
    • 3 tsp sugar
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 100ml milk
    • Around 2-300ml warm water
    Weigh the flours in a large mixing bowl. Add the yeast, sugar and salt and mix in.
    Pour in the milk and mix with a wooden spoon, then start pouring in the warm water. Use the spoon to start with then change to your hands. When the dough mostly sticks in a ball (without being wet or sticky), tip onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough for ten minutes.

Pop into a clean bowl and cover. Leave to rise, preferably in a warm spot, until doubled in size – usually 1-2 hours.

When the dough has doubled in size, remove from the bowl and gently knock out the excess air. Cut into six equal pieces and pull the top round and over each piece to make a ball with a smooth, stretched over top and a bunched up bottom. Flatten slightly and leave slightly spaced out on a baking tray. Leave to rest, covered, for 30-60 minutes, when doubled in size again (don't leave to rise too long the second time, best to set a timer or something so as not to forget about it).

Preheat the oven to 220C. Pour a little water into a baking dish and put this in the bottom of the oven. Put the rolls in above the water and bake for 15-20 minutes until the rolls are golden and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.

(Sometimes I brush with a little milk and top with sesame seeds before baking to make burger buns).
    A56506BB-1E9C-44C7-AB30-3EE1A4FB8608-2832-000001E7E2181872_zps9dccca75.jpg
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    they look fab bluegreen!
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks mrs-moneypenny - they are good! Since I've started making bread every week it's really improved as I learn from previous mistakes e.g. kneading for 10 minutes is vital and also leaving to rise too long the second time makes it collapse a bit in the oven. The two main mistakes I used to make a lot!
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • sheeppappar
    sheeppappar Posts: 252 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    Had a couple of top up shops which came to about £25 I reckon.. will update signature...
    Hope you are all having a good week this week!

Bluegreen / other breadmakers.. maybe a daft question but how do you fit breadmaking into your routine?.. genuine question.. I have tried a couple of times but then normally only think of doing it when I get in from work.. then by the time the dough's had a chance to rise twice then it's really late at night. I assume you fit it in to your busy lives so would be interested to know how you do it.. Bluegreen I see you freeze yours - do you just do a big batch at the weekend or something?

Off to check the recipe index for Bluegreen's butter bean onion + cheddar bake as I have all those ingredients in and it sounds lush!
    CC1 £7,944.10
    CC2 £2,680.03
    CC3 £1,020.88
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills