Sky Home Move and trying to force me into new contract

Options
Hello,

I am moving home and I require Sky to move my broadband, tv and phone line to my new address. I have rang them and they are free home moves, which was alluded to when I took the contract out as I knew I would be moving.

I took out an 18 month contract 6 months ago.Since then they have risen the price to which I refused, during my refusal they stated that I had to take a new contract out to keep it at the same price. I stated this was surely illegal and felt like I was being bullied into a new contract (that I had only been 3 months into).

I have called them today about the home move and they have stated that my broadband has been re-packaged and that I would need to take out another 18 month contract. Again, is this legal and it again feels like bullying. I told the operative on the phone that I felt this was illegal and that there must be some consumer law to protect me, and that I have a contract.

She went to speak to her manager and came back with I can either Cancel my broadband for free OR sign a new contract.

Surely something is wrong here? Any ideas of suggestions?

Comments

• andy1234uk
    Options
    Hello,

I am moving home and I require Sky to move my broadband, tv and phone line to my new address. I have rang them and they are free home moves, which was alluded to when I took the contract out as I knew I would be moving.

I took out an 18 month contract 6 months ago.Since then they have risen the price to which I refused, during my refusal they stated that I had to take a new contract out to keep it at the same price. I stated this was surely illegal and felt like I was being bullied into a new contract (that I had only been 3 months into).

I have called them today about the home move and they have stated that my broadband has been re-packaged and that I would need to take out another 18 month contract. Again, is this legal and it again feels like bullying. I told the operative on the phone that I felt this was illegal and that there must be some consumer law to protect me, and that I have a contract.

She went to speak to her manager and came back with I can either Cancel my broadband for free OR sign a new contract.

Surely something is wrong here? Any ideas of suggestions?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry but your post is a bit garbled so not 100% I'm reading it correctly but Sky don't force a new contract on you for BB or TV when moving house. I moved with both a year ago with no issues unless they've changed T&C's since.

If the price rise was on BB then they're obliged to let you leave without any termination fees, TV is not bound by the same rules. If the new contract offered was for TV then obviously it's not illegal as they offered you the same deal for a new 18(?) month deal, whether you take it up or not is up to you so talk of bullying is childish. The same applies for the BB, either leave or accept a new suitable deal.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Duplicate thread.

Edit: can a mod remove?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Home move and start a new contract is normal with many ISPs .
    Alternative is to pay off your current contract remaining months and you are then free to choose an ISP at your new home .Including any new user discounts etc .
    Your are in contract at your current address only for xx months .You are not in contract at any other address .

Yes its all lawfull and normal .

Take the free cancellation and find a new supplier at new address .
  • busybee100
    busybee100 Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do they know where you are moving to? Try Hull.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure