MSE Blog: Football and MoneySaving - A marriage made in hell

Options
Hi all, this is a thread to discuss the MSE blog:
"I’ve got a confession. I work for MoneySavingExpert.com but fail in practising what I preach in one area of my life. I’ll have spent roughly £1,500 this football season watching my team, Arsenal..."

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You enjoy watching football...........most of the time.:D
    You can afford it.
    You share the joys.........and not so joyful moments with friends.
    You've bagged a good seat which is yours all season.

Most people work so that they can afford treats.........and your treat is an Arsenal football season ticket.

You probably save loads of money in other areas, which enables you to afford the football treat.

I'm not an Arsenal fan and I don't go to football matches very often but when I do go, I thoroughly enjoy the atmosphere. It's totally different to watching football on television.

Don't feel guilty, enjoy your football and time spent with friends.;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't think you're wrong at all. I think there are different reasons for being mse. Sadly I know many people on here are desperately short of money so it's the only way. There are others (and I'm fortunately one) who hate being ripped off and like to make choices about how we spend our hard-earned. If it's a Gunners ticket you want then fine, I'm sure you save in loads of other ways.

I have a season ticket, in fact I'm off to footie in an hour. We'll likely be in the Prem again next season but would have been there a lot quicker if we could have kept Theo and Alex! :rotfl: Enjoy!
  • minerva_windsong
    Options
    First off, can I say that in my view if you've paid your bills then your money is your money to spend as you see fit, whatever that might be - football tickets, clothes, musical instruments, gadgets, whatever. No-one should have to justify what they spend on and how much they spend on it, provided they can afford it and it's not coming at the expense of, say, food and heating.

However, I think in some respects with season tickets it's not so much the money as it is the time. Case in point: a couple of years ago my dad finally got a Liverpool season ticket, at a cost of about £850 for all league home matches. My mum isn't bothered remotely about him spending that amount but what she is bothered about is how much it eats into their lives in terms of things like going away for weekends because he 'has' to go to the match. Over Easter weekend, for instance, he drove down to my sister's on the Thursday night, went back to Liverpool for the match on Saturday morning, and then came back late on Saturday evening. Considering that my brother-in-law has Sky Sports and my uncle had offered to take the ticket off him for the day, I really can't understand why he'd choose to do that unless it was a major match (it wasn't). But then, maybe I just don't have the mentality of the serious football fan...
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • eezer
    eezer Posts: 348 Forumite
    Options
    Hope you enjoyed your humbling at the hands of the mighty Wigan tonight! Not seen Arsene's comments yet but he isn't exactly known for being gracious in defeat. To make matters worse - the £1500 you spent watching Arsenal is dwarfed by the whopping £250 it costs for my season ticket at Wigan. And there's cheaper alternatives too.

To finally rub it in, your success is measured by silverware, ours by survival. 7 trophyless years for you - 7 years in the Prem for us. I wonder who is getting better value for money?
  • saintjammyswine
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I don't think you're wrong at all. I think there are different reasons for being mse. Sadly I know many people on here are desperately short of money so it's the only way. There are others (and I'm fortunately one) who hate being ripped off and like to make choices about how we spend our hard-earned. If it's a Gunners ticket you want then fine, I'm sure you save in loads of other ways.

I have a season ticket, in fact I'm off to footie in an hour. We'll likely be in the Prem again next season but would have been there a lot quicker if we could have kept Theo and Alex! :rotfl: Enjoy!

I go when I can but cant really afford the outlay for a season ticket. People spend the money they earn on things, whether it be cars, holidays, getting drunk and so there is no shame (apart from choice of club) in going to football providing it is not taking money from more important spending such as rent etc. Oh and for maman, COYS.
  • Former_MSE_Guy
    Options
    eezer wrote: »
    Hope you enjoyed your humbling at the hands of the mighty Wigan tonight! Not seen Arsene's comments yet but he isn't exactly known for being gracious in defeat. To make matters worse - the £1500 you spent watching Arsenal is dwarfed by the whopping £250 it costs for my season ticket at Wigan. And there's cheaper alternatives too.

To finally rub it in, your success is measured by silverware, ours by survival. 7 trophyless years for you - 7 years in the Prem for us. I wonder who is getting better value for money?

Wigan were brilliant last night. Fair play. Can't say I enjoyed it but you guys deserved the win.
  • kkgree1
    kkgree1 Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My husband is very similar to you but supports one of your London rivals. I dread to think how much he has spent on Football this year. It's not just the cost of a season ticket either but all the added cup games, champions league, train/petrol costs let alone the "away" trips to Naples & Lisbon as well.

A lot of my friends ask how I put up with it and I often find myself saying that I enjoy having Saturday afternoons to myself to do my own thing like shopping or seeing friends. I also think there are a lot worse things you can spend your money on - namely gambling, drinking, drugs, etc.
    Mortgage free wannabe
    Mortgage (November 2010) £135,850
    Mortgage (November 2020) £4,784
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I can fully understand all of the points raised in the article.

Other lasses spend money going on girl nights, or salon treatments, or clothes and shoes, etc. Me, I prefer spend my money supporting Sunderland.

A pair of Jimmy Choo's or a set of acrylic nails does absolutely nothing for me. But things like the tension walking over the Wearmouth Bridge as everyone comes together, the noise in the stadium before kick off, the ball hitting the back of the net and everyone going wild and hugging strangers, it just gets me every time and I bloody well love it!
    Here I go again on my own....
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I still call myself a Liverpudlian but haven't been to a match in years now, purely an armchair supporter. When i stopped going it wasn't so much about the cost, it was 'cos of the hours i was working and the fact that the players just didn't seem to have the same passion and desire to be in the team.
    The first match i went was against Notts Forest and we got beat 2-1. It cost me 1/6d to get in the boys-pen then i started paying 3s to stand on the Kop, that was in the 60s. The first three seasons we won the League then the Cup then the League again, in the Shankley years before premadonna players.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • rorylando45
    rorylando45 Posts: 451 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I pretty much dedicate my life to Celtic FC. Living in London makes it tricky but I get up about 10 times a season and try to get to one Euro away-day a season, and however much it costs it's worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure