Side gig additional money

Quick sense check please.

Wife is about to take a second "job" (one day a weeker) which will give her another £6k in earnings on top of her £30k or so mon-fri role in the NHS.

I'm intending to retire early and have made good provisions to do so. She has no additional pension, just what she's built up via her NHS pension. Currently if we're both going to retire early it'll be me funding her until her pension kicks in.

Additional £6k she's about to earn to go into a SIPP seem the most appropriate thing to do?

We are early 30's, mortgage 80% paid off (but we may upscale at some point), no other debts.

Comments

• Additional £6k she's about to earn to go into a SIPP seem the most appropriate thing to do?

We are early 30's, mortgage 80% paid off (but we may upscale at some point), no other debts.

Or possibly at least some into a S&S ISA to cover you if you want to take a really early retirement. You can only get at your SIPP once you reach 55 - though there is some talk of that being increased, so it could potentially be that you have to be a minimum of 57 in 20 years time.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you are both planning to retire early (i.e. before she hits NHS normal retirement age) it would make sense to have some personal pension in her name to make sure she can use her income tax personal allowance.

Any option to buy added years in the NHS scheme?

If you are early 30s then you should assume you will be unable to access your pensions until 58 (State Pension Age minus 10 years), potentially longer as another increase to SPA is more than possible. So as Phil says you should look at S&S ISAs although it may be less tax efficient than a pension, especially if she can get tax relief at 20% and later draw it out at 0% using the personal allowance.
  • MaxiRobriguez
    MaxiRobriguez Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 November 2019 at 11:41AM
    I don't think there's any possibility of her buying additional years in the scheme, only making AVC's to what would essentially be a SIPP.

Have got a small provision (c.£20k) in S+S ISA currently. I know it's not enough but I'm currently sacrificing about 30% of my salary into my salary sacrifice scheme to take advantage of higher relief and then some and to benefit from tax relief at income rather than crystalisation. If/when this tax relief goes and I'm a bit older then I'll probably contribute more to the S+S ISA to bump that up in the years before retirement.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Choosing S&S ISA over higher rate relief and salary sacrifice NI relief would very likely be bonkers.

If nothing changed until your retirement age (and the lifetime allowance wasn't a factor), it could easily make more sense to bridge the gap from your actual retirement age to 58 (or whatever) by borrowing money and repaying it from your pensions once you can access them than paying 40% tax plus NI to fund S&S ISAs.

Are you paying any higher rate tax? At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, if you have not sacrificed away your entire higher rate liability, it may make more sense for you to sacrifice more of your own income into a pension and use her £6,000pa to fill the gap.

Does your employer pay in their 13.8% NI under your salary sacrifice arrangement? I'm assuming she won't get any NI relief, only income tax relief.
  • No I don't pay any higher rate tax. I sacrifice just over 20% of my salary to get under the threshold, but I'll probably up this again next year (can change it in a couple of months) to dodge even more income/NI tax. Getting just under the threshold felt like a win but the reality is the difference is only 10% not 20% when NI is considered, so I'll probably opt to push to 25 or 30% if I can afford it next time round.

RE: 13.8% comment - My employer doesn't pay in their NI, they just match my contribution up to 10%.

And yes I suspect my partner is only going to get income tax relief from her SIPP, not NI too.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I don't think there's any possibility of her buying additional years in the scheme, only making AVC's to what would essentially be a SIPP.

Have got a small provision (c.£20k) in S+S ISA currently. I know it's not enough but I'm currently sacrificing about 30% of my salary into my salary sacrifice scheme to take advantage of higher relief and then some and to benefit from tax relief at income rather than crystalisation. If/when this tax relief goes and I'm a bit older then I'll probably contribute more to the S+S ISA to bump that up in the years before retirement.
    I think you can buy 'added pension' which is effectively the same sort of thing as added years. You would need to compare the benefit with say SIPP.
    https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/member-hub/increasing-your-pension/additional-pension
    What about a S&S LISA, £4,000 will be grossed up to £5,000 same as a pension but, unlike a pension, no tax when you take it out at age 60.
  • Yes did some more reading of her scheme details last night and she can buy added pension, so it's another consideration.

Good shout on the S+S LISA. We'll need to do some number crunching on whether AVC's that avoid NI as well as income tax make that more beneficial that LISA with government bonus plus no tax on withdrawal.... and then decide after that if that option is better than buying more years!
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    IMO, for tax purposes when retiring early, it would make more sense for her to up her payments into a SIPP and you to pick up the slack on the household income now as long as you salary sac under HRT limit rather than you contribute more to your larger DC pot.

Her ability to withdraw £12.5k tax free yearly until her NHS pension can be taken without actuarial reduction to my mind trumps you having more in your pot. If you can both build up a substantial pot then being able to draw, using UFPLS, £16.6k each (£33.2k total) tax-free yearly until SP age, very advantageous.

Look at ISA's also but in reality, if you both have decent DC pots, the ISAs only need to last a few years before you can each access DC pensions so this could be a lower priority unless you have money left over.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We'll need to do some number crunching on whether AVC's that avoid NI as well as income tax make that more beneficial that LISA with government bonus plus no tax on withdrawal.... and then decide after that if that option is better than buying more years!
    Are you sure AVC's avoid NI? I though that only applied to certain salary sacrifice types of contribution.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure