Who is responsible for compensation for lost package?

Options
I returned an item to an ebay seller and he says he has not received it.

I have proof of postage.

Ebay has closed the dispute, the seller is not responding and the person at the post office branch where I posted the return and got proof of postage says it's got nothing to do with them.

Who is responsible?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,250 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    st999 wrote: »
    I returned an item to an ebay seller and he says he has not received it.

I have proof of postage.

Ebay has closed the dispute, the seller is not responding and the person at the post office branch where I posted the return and got proof of postage says it's got nothing to do with them.

Who is responsible?

Royal Mail, get a claim form online and send it off.

However , was this item tracked at all, even standard parcels now has delivery conformation.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not sure proof of postage is enough for ebay. I think you need proof of delivery.

You probably will have to put a claim in to Royal Mail.(The post office are not Royal Mail)
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,250 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I just clarify though that this is your own label you used, you didn't get one supplied by the seller or ebay?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can I just clarify though that this is your own label you used, you didn't get one supplied by the seller or ebay?

I was emailed the label from the seller.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    st999 wrote: »
    I was emailed the label from the seller.

What sort of label did the seller provide, was it a tracked label or untracked label?

If tracked, what does the tracking say.

If untracked, you do not need to do anything as ebay should have closed the case in your favour.

Either way, with a return such as this ebay should be refunding you. Have you called them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure