First Aid & Fire Marshall Extra Pay

Options
Hello

Do any of you receive additional pay for being a fire Marshal or first aider? My Boss has recently approached me about being a first aider and has advised they offer an additional £10 per month pre tax for being a first aider and the same for fire marshal. To me this seems quite low for the additional responsibility considering you are getting taxed on it too. I was just wondering if this is normal?

Or do most places not offer anything and you do it out of the goodness of your own heart?

Thank you

Comments

• ShaneUK
    ShaneUK Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where I work, it is £5 p/m for fire marshal/warden, and £10 p/m for First Aider
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Assuming no extra hours of working are needed, i.e. the duties are done out of your normal working hours, then a nominal sum seems reasonable to me. Neither are particularly demanding in terms of training etc. Just as long as there is extra pay if you have to do training/exams in your own time outside normal working hours etc,
  • I always declined.
  • phoenix1837
    Options
    I've been a first aider in a few jobs now and never been paid for it. The only time I ever received payment for a similar role was when I was a designated firefighter on site in a chemical company and had to have breathing apparatus training as well as fire fighting skills training. That payment was more danger money I would imagine.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MarkN88 wrote: »
    I always declined.

The role or payment?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I wouldn't expect to pay or be paid any extra -both are generally things which you would be doing in your normal working hours so I woulod see it more as being 'other duties as required'

It is of course reasonable forthe meployer to cover all trianing costs, and pay any expenses such as travel costs of you need to attend training.

Offering a little bit extra seems like a nice thing to do but not something to expect.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    I used to work in a school and as many of us were trained First Aiders as possible - needless to say, we weren't paid any extra for that! Same for the fire marshals, although fewer of us were trained for that. The rest of us always had basic fire training still, though.
  • If there is a fire. Fight it. your discretion to use Foam, water or CO2.

Pretty sure you MSE dribble bibs know what kind of fire you are fighting.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is there a welfare benefits question in here somewhere?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure