Car warranty advice please

Options
Hello. I brought a 3 year old car from a car sales company on 30th October. I was told I had a 3 month basic warranty but I could buy an optional 12 month gold cover warranty which covers everything for £250. I asked 1 question which was “what is the excess charge for any claim”?
I was told there wasn’t any, only the £250 for the product, so I proceeded to buy this extra cover for piece of mind. The trader rang the warranty company and after myself speaking to them to confirm my details I handed the phone back and he paid for my warranty using his own credit card. We then sorted out my payment for the car and the extra warranty cost by bank transfer. I was totally happy with everything at this point. The next day I received the warranty policy docs via email and whilst browsing through them I noticed that because of the mileage of my new car i would have to pay 30% of any repair costs, going up yo 40% when I drive another 6000 miles. In the cancellation section it also stated I had a 14 day cooling off period. After thinking about it for a few days and ringing around other warranty providers I decided to cancel. I rang the warranty company and they told me that as the trader paid for my policy on his card he would need to deal with the cancellation. I rang the trader who blagged me for a few days by saying his broker was away and he would get back to me, he never did call me back so I ended up power calling him. He finally answered on day 13 of the 14 day cooling period. I explained I wanted to cancel and be refunded again as I felt I was miss sold the product because of the unknown excess charges. He said he would never have said that and tried to sell me excess exemption fo another £90. I refused and again said I want a refund. He point blank told me he won’t do that and he’s going to hang up as I was shouting at him(as annoyed as I was, I wasn’t shouting). He then hung up anyway. I did document my intention to cancel with the warranty company and did send a citizen advice template letter asking for my refund via email. I also asked to speak with the traders account manager at the warranty company but was told there’s nothing they can do. However I don’t know what else I can do as no one seems interested, can anyone advise on my rights or next move please. Thanks

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The warranty rights are with the purchaser and thats not you .
    Seek legal advice try your local CAB .
  • ArkleP
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    I did send them something similar to this online last Friday but had no response fro them so looks like a visit to the CAB. Thanks again.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    MCOL ... small claims court?
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Were you told about the warranty policy on the day of the car sale and purchased it on the day of the car sale?

The car dealer paying for it on his card is a red herring, he has done that to get around the rules and should not affect your rights if you are the policyholder
  • m0bov
    m0bov Posts: 2,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Need to LBA him and then do an MCOL.
  • ArkleP
    ArkleP Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Were you told about the warranty policy on the day of the car sale and purchased it on the day of the car sale?

The car dealer paying for it on his card is a red herring, he has done that to get around the rules and should not affect your rights if you are the policyholder

I purchased the warranty at the same time as the car sale yes but believe it was mis sold as I was told no excesses at all. I wouldn’t have brought it if I knew there wold be excesses. I am the policy holder and can cancel but the refund would go back to the traders card and he has said he won’t refund me.
    Small claims court looks like the only option to win this.
  • ashpan
    ashpan Posts: 335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    what happened about this, im in a similar situation
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    It's a shame you didn't ask here sooner. I would have cancelled the policy as the policeyholder.

I would then of sent a letter to the traders giving 14 days to return the refunded money back to you or SCC proceedings would be instigated.

Would be a very easy win in the SCC.

Edit - Just noticed post was from November, however advice still stands.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure