PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rats in attic of newly rented property

Options
13»

Comments

• Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    I would be out, gone, when you kill them the smell starts, they must have known when they let the house to you
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would be out, gone, when you kill them the smell starts, they must have known when they let the house to you
    So... what would you do if you were an owner-occupier?
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »

How is that relevant in a post about a rented house?
  • Mikey26
    Options

We have considered this option, we really don't want to resort to this but with the attic door being near enough directly above our bed in the bedroom we have yet to have a good nights sleep here. My partner also has the odd tantrum over the fact that especially due to being pregnant she should be getting a good solid eight hours sleep without being disturbed, of course this isn't happening and we are constantly being awoke by squeaks, scurries and whatnot. Anyway its been over two weeks now, we are sleeping downstairs in the living room on a sofa bed and are still able to hear the noises loud as ever, they are currently making noise in the nights quite often directly above the stairs (when you reach the top of the stairs look straight up and that's where the noise seems to be loudest now). Bit of an awkward position as there is no doors in between to even dampen that noise from the top of stairs.
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options

Well, I would buy a new build, detached, and away from fields that had been recently disturbed from a natural habitat. I would also take very careful notice of immediate neighbours sanitary habits... I know that would not 100% guarantee a rat free area, but it would certainly minimise the chances.

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well, I would buy a new build, detached
    Meanwhile, in most people's reality...
    and away from fields that had been recently disturbed from a natural habitat.
    I think you might be confusing mice and rats.
  • Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    Mikey26 wrote: »
    We have considered this option, we really don't want to resort to this but with the attic door being near enough directly above our bed in the bedroom we have yet to have a good nights sleep here. My partner also has the odd tantrum over the fact that especially due to being pregnant she should be getting a good solid eight hours sleep without being disturbed, of course this isn't happening and we are constantly being awoke by squeaks, scurries and whatnot. Anyway its been over two weeks now, we are sleeping downstairs in the living room on a sofa bed and are still able to hear the noises loud as ever, they are currently making noise in the nights quite often directly above the stairs (when you reach the top of the stairs look straight up and that's where the noise seems to be loudest now). Bit of an awkward position as there is no doors in between to even dampen that noise from the top of stairs.

Good lord, get on to your landlord, your poor wife, it's a disgrace.
    You need to move, get them to release you from the contract, get on to environmental health.

• Blackpool_Saver
    Options
    Meanwhile, in most people's reality...

I think you might be confusing mice and rats.

Oh no I am not, I have friends in exactly this position, HUGE fat rats in the garden, living under the sheds, and now it's getting cold....

• lookstraightahead
    Options
    My hubbie had rats at his office and that was definitely not his responsibility.
  • lookstraightahead
    Options

Definitely check on it more than once a week.

Make it my responsibility
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport