Pride Apex batteries

Options
50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 29 October 2019 at 4:59PM in Disability money matters
My Pride Apex Mobility scooter batteries are dying rapidly - range about 2 miles (at a push)

The scooter is just over 2 years old and is rarely used

When new - the range is claimed to be 13 miles - more like a genuine 4 miles
Could the batteries really need replacing so soon ?
Could the reason be the fact that it is charged when we get home - left for up to a month and given a top up charge before using again ?
I understand that they are 2 off 12v /18ah batteries - can they be upgraded for more range ?
Are they simple to replace myself ?

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    The range claimed is always under ideal conditions - on flat surfaces, constant speed, and I don't know whether it accounts for the weight of a person or not.

My Pride Go-chair batteries say to be charged at least once a week if not used, fo 12-14hours at least. Recharges (after using) should be 8-14 hours, and at least 4 hours after the indicator says it's charged.

In other words, if you've not been charging them weekly - and assuming they are deep-cycle batteries - then yes, after 2 years they could well be dying.

[Mine are starting to sag partly because the chair sat unused for several months before I bought it and partly because I keep forgetting to give them their weekly charge, so this is hopefully the kick I need to make sure I do better for my batteries from now on.]
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Remove the box containing the batteries from the scooter and turn it upside down, then remove all the screws around the edge on the underside.

Turn upright and remove the cover - if it doesn't come off easily then you have missed a screw or two.
    Beware that some cables will still be attached so be carefull.

When you can see the batteries, measure the maximum size which will fit in the battery space. You want max length, width and height.

Now go somewhere such as here and pick out batteries which are nearest in size to the hole you have measured and that have a higher power rating than the ones you have.

Once you have bought them it should be an easy job to fit them.

Note that the higher the output the heavier the battery.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    D_M_E wrote: »
    Remove the box containing the batteries from the scooter and turn it upside down, then remove all the screws around the edge on the underside.

Turn upright and remove the cover - if it doesn't come off easily then you have missed a screw or two.
    Beware that some cables will still be attached so be carefull.

When you can see the batteries, measure the maximum size which will fit in the battery space. You want max length, width and height.

Now go somewhere such as here and pick out batteries which are nearest in size to the hole you have measured and that have a higher power rating than the ones you have.

Once you have bought them it should be an easy job to fit them.

Note that the higher the output the heavier the battery.

£25 for 2 batteries - appears too cheap - are they really OK ?
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 October 2019 at 12:42PM
    Options
    We have bought batteries for various scooters off various Ebay sellers over the years and can safely say have had no problems.

Another place to look for batteries - if you don't like or use Ebay - is a boat suppliers or chandler's outlet, the batteries are the same leakproof gelpak things as used in scooters.

EDIT: you should note that when you change the battery size in the dropdown menu the price will rise, the £25 is for small batteries, it's FROM £25 not £25 for any size.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Our Pride GoGo Traveller Plus batteries last around 3 to 4 years or so before the capacity drops to such an extent they are near useless. We currently have two battery boxes and carry both in the cars "just in case". Very similar in design to your scooter.

They are usually AGM batteries; but Gel batteries are an alternative (more expensive and fussier over charge regime - stick to AGM. The same dimensional size of battery comes in 17-18-20 and 22 Ah ratings.
    But you need to double-check exactly what is fitted in your scooter. The price increases with the capacity, but so does the range of the scooter.

Take the scooter/battery box to a mobility shop and they can supply new batteries and fit them without VAT (disability exempt). Buy and fit them yourself and you should pay VAT on the purchase (as the same batteries are used in Golf caddy carts and other applications). Always ring round and get prices from such places and ask about the make of batteries they will supply.

If fitting yourself ring local suppliers - they may be a good price and you can save the delivery charges.

I'd pay for a quality brand: Lucas or Yuasa. I paid under £90 a pair fairly recently including next day delivery. This is a reputable online supplier I got one set from
    https://www.tayna.co.uk/golf-batteries/offers/rec22-12-pair/

No scooter battery should need more frequent maintenence charging than once a month if unused and no parasitic drain. The charger we had with the first GoGo scooter killed batteries by following the makers' charge regime (leave on charge overnight after every use). It was OK if disconnected soon after the charge full indicator went from red to green and the next set lasted many years. Typically needing 2-8 hrs max. (depending on depth of discharge). The newer scooter's charger is better and I've confirmed it is 'intelligent' so could be connected 24/7 safely. Your mileage may vary!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure