PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Buy the most you can afford?

Options

Comments

• clint_S
    clint_S Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    I was in a similar position a 18 months ago. We had an AIP of £380K, the house I wanted was £270K, the wife didn't want Mortgage payments over a certain amount (meaning a Mortgage of £200K). We bought a house for £230K. It's slightly smaller than the house I wanted, but with the savings we're going on two holidays this year, bought a new car, can pay for all the improvement to the house and garden, and have enough saved up to pay of 25% off the house. If either of us were made unemployed we could easily live the same standard of lifestyle for a year, without worrying about how we would afford the mortgage.

I did have to negotiate up with the wife, but she loves the house we are in, and the lack of financial worry about ifs and buts has kept the stress levels down.
  • clint_S
    clint_S Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    It really depends on the type of risk taker and how you like to manage you money. The wife even asked the Financial Adviser whether she felt we could afford the £230K property, which was met with a chuckle.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've had three forever homes, so I would never buy anywhere expecting to stay in it 'forever' - that's an awfully long time, and things change.

If the thought of buying the 4-bed is making you nervous, then I think that's all we need to know. Don't do it.

You buy a house to live in it. With the emphasis on the live. If you can't afford to live, then there's no point.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Greyhorse
    Greyhorse Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    We do love the 4 bed however to purchase would mean borrowing money from parents to cover the shortfall and paying this in addition to the more expensive mortgage as we do not have enough equity in ours. This is more the problem than the mortgage itself but family would lend us the shortfall.

If we buy a 3 bed it is likely we will want to move however we might love it there too so it's hard to tell! All of the 4 beds in the area start at the 200k. House we like is 230k.

The cheaper mortgage is somewhere in the £700 figure and the more expensive one £1000 per month.

Our joint income is around £2600 per month however isn't likely to increase significantly any time soon.
  • Mrs36
    Mrs36 Posts: 193 Forumite
    Options
    I have always pushed our budget as much as we are comfortable with and it has worked out so far. We are currently purchasing a house that will be a long term home (I'm not sure I entirely agree with the sentiment of a 'forever' home) and have pushed ourselves, but nowhere near what a mortgage companies affordability said we could borrow (I still wanted to be able to sleep at night!)

Borrowing from parents would make me VERY nervous, and I can't say it is something I would do personally. What would you do afterwards if the boiler broke, or your washing machine? If you are borrowing from family that seems a bit too much of a stretch.

Also, how important are the luxuries and days out to you? I am not at all bothered about holidays or new cars, but if that was important to you the last thing you would want is to resent the house for preventing you from doing all that.
  • kilby_007
    kilby_007 Posts: 738 Forumite
    edited 3 March 2017 at 12:37PM
    Options
    According to Tesco's mortgage calculator, I can "afford" to buy a 450K house with a 20% deposit. Would I be able to "afford" to make the monthly repayments if the interest rates went back up to 5%? Absolutely not. We're looking in the 300 - 350K range. Don't max yourself out, there's no safety net as interest rates can't go any lower, and house prices can't get much higher. If prices come down and interest rates go up, the best case scenario is that you're going to be skint and not moving house for a long time... worst case you lose the house and declare bankruptcy.
  • neilio
    neilio Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Greyhorse wrote: »
    All of the 4 beds in the area start at the 200k. House we like is 230k.

Wow! What area of the country is this?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If your parents can afford to give that money then fine, if not I would not do this. Lenders are going to want a gift declaration from your parents, and yes they could lie but that is not a great idea.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Could you compromise and find a 3 bed detached at somewhere in-between price wise?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    Options
    it really depends on personal circumstances and what the plan might be for the buyer keeping in mind that planning is good however reality often differs.

I decided to buy within a set budget based on what I would be comfortable to pay monthly not what I could afford. I could afforded more but I had no need.

Are you buying a property to the max because it will be your nest egg for retirement? Today there are other options that have better incentives.

Grandparents see property = retirement plan, it's a different game now.
    EU expat working in London
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family