🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What help are we entitled to? Low income couple

Options

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No qualifications on her part, a huge debt to repay with a limited income and here's what the outcome is. I don't want to be patronising, we learn through our experiences, but I so wish young people were more clued up, realise the importance of dedicating yourself to your studies (whichever they are) and not think that you can spend as much as you want just because you get a credit card. I sympathise with your situation, but it is only bad because of choices you and your partner have made, not the economy, not the governement, not anyone else.

I wish you that your partner do get a job quickly, that you focus all your resources to repay your loan asap so you can finally find yourself able to avoid the stress of struggling at the end of each month.
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 February 2011 at 12:57PM
    Options
    £400 after bills is a reasonable enough sum. (Say a bit less than £700 plus £500 rent (presuming no pension))

The fact that you have taken out an enormous loan is neither here nor there - you are paying £255 for whatever it is you bought with the loan - you still have use of that (unless it was frittered away.)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is she actually just looking for admin jobs,

There is always McDonalds, (nothing wrong with working at McDonalds) pub work, restaurant work.

Like other posters have said, its not a bad salary to be on for two of you, its the loan that you chose to take out that is causing the problems that you have. What was the loan for?
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Everydayman
    Options
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    £400 after bills is a reasonable enough sum. (Say a bit less than £700 plus £500 rent (presuming no pension))

The fact that you have taken out an enormous loan is neither here nor there - you are paying £255 for whatever it is you bought with the loan - you still have use of that (unless it was frittered away.)

o.0 Not really sure where you have come to a figure of £400 a month left over. There are the other bills that need paying like tv licence which is currently higher then usual, utilities, council tax, phone and internet.

I am going to get the loan thing out here now, I was younger and well overspent, I don't have alot to show for it!
    The past is the past though, I am sure there are alot of us who would of invested, studied differently etc...
    Fbaby, at the time I acquired the debt it was manageable, I didn't foresee my living expenses being higher and having a partner. My debt is coming down and when it is gone in a few years time then happy days. As already mentioned the things we know now....

And my partner is not very academic, she is incredibly skilled as an artist, but in real life working terms this does not translate into much. However on a separate note she is looking to get more training to use these skills and put them to work.

Sixer thank you very much for that idea! I think it is something that we will explore!

As I've mentioned if my partner was in full time work we would be in a position within 6 months of having paid off our respective overdrafts, having some money in savings and not buying the cheapest of everything and being in the position of having to hunt out the best deal for everything out there when buying food/services.
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    edited 19 February 2011 at 5:42PM
    Options
    Even JSA would allow my partner to be more proactive in job hunting.

Can you explain this comment please? It makes absolutely no sense.

Interesting to see that you think the tax payer should, in effect, be paying your loan ;/
  • Everydayman
    Options
    viktory wrote: »
    Can you explain this comment please? It makes absolutely no sense.

Interesting to see that you think the tax payer should, in effect, be paying your loan ;/

...... OK let me put it this way! Right now my income pays for all the household bills and I pay my loan! I am not asking the government to pay my loan so stop being so sanctimonious.

Right now with no spare funds, my partner can not afford to get a bus to the job centre, to buy new clothes for employment. To afford to put any credit on her phone to call companies about jobs. (My phone comes to work with me) And as repeatedly mentioned there is no spare cash.

PLEASE GUYS, I would greatly appreciate any helpful advice and not things like well you shouldn't of screwed up in your past choices, if she wanted work enough she'd have it etc...
    As someone who has never claimed any sort of benefit in the past, and always paid tax and national insurance I would like to know if there is any area that the state can help to look after us, in what I hope is a short period of time where we need it.
    If my partner was working we would be in a position where a second income would far outstrip any need for the small amount of help benefits would give.
  • viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    Options
    Right now with no spare funds, my partner can not afford to get a bus to the job centre, to buy new clothes for employment. To afford to put any credit on her phone to call companies about jobs. (My phone comes to work with me) And as repeatedly mentioned there is no spare cash.

Oh come on! New clothes are not needed to get a job. Job applications are, more often than not, online. Stamps are not that expensive, your partner can walk or borrow a bicycle to the job centre or interviews. She can physically take her CV to companies. You can't even afford to give her £10 a month for phone credit? Nonsense.
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Options
    The Debt free wanabee board members will help advise you how to manage your debt, such as strategies to make the repayments more affordable.

As a previous person has indicated, work through the Up Your Income info on this site.

Download the MSE budget planner on the free tools section of MSE, fill it in and work through the site to identify where to make savings. There is good info on the boards and the general site on finding cheaper tariffis, cutting consumption, frugal living (such as cheap recipes, there is a site that contains recipes so a family of 4 can live on £100 shopping per month and it covers every meal and is nutritionally approved).
  • burtons
    burtons Posts: 724 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm on half your income and my girlfriend don't work (lazy sod) I have kids and i cannot get any help so it's a waste of time me working.
  • SHIPSHAPE
    SHIPSHAPE Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    Options
    Poster, welcome to the real world!

Most of my friends, and I, are struggling at the moment and some are in a worse position than you and your partner.

Sorry, but you sound like a whinger who needs to get their !!!!! into gear.

The benefits system is for people in dire need, not like you who is moaning about their printer not working, cannot afford mobile phone credit etc

Get on with it and kick your gf out the house and only let her back in when she has got a job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport