🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Mortgage/Income Protection and Job Seekers Allowance

Options
Hello. I've tried searching the site for something similar but I can't seem to find the answer. Does anyone knows whether I can claim job seekers allowance if I'm claiming mortgage/income protection in light of redudancy? In a nutshell the mortgage protection covers my bills but if I don't get job seekers allowance I will starve. Can anyone help?:cheesy: Thanks.

Comments

• Bulliebaby46
    Options
    I'd check your policy, as I have to be claiming JSA in order to get my mortgage protection paid - as far as I know thats normal for most policies
  • katcats38
    Options
    Yes will do. Thanks very much
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    katcats38 wrote: »
    Hello. I've tried searching the site for something similar but I can't seem to find the answer. Does anyone knows whether I can claim job seekers allowance if I'm claiming mortgage/income protection in light of redudancy? In a nutshell the mortgage protection covers my bills but if I don't get job seekers allowance I will starve. Can anyone help?:cheesy: Thanks.

Hi there

Yes you can claim JSA while being paid for these protection covers, as you know JSA is where you are actively seeking employment, the forms for these when claiming are called AB1 where the insurance company will want proof every month that you are actively seeking work and these have to be signed by the benefits office.

Sorry If I have mis read on this.
    Good luck.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 13,010 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you've been paying Class 1 NI for the last couple of years you should be entitled to Contributions-based JSA for the first six months, which isn't means tested.
  • katcats38
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I really do appreciate it. Lets hope it doesn't happen but just trying to prepare just in case it does. Thank you guys.
  • dwestcott
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    If you've been paying Class 1 NI for the last couple of years you should be entitled to Contributions-based JSA for the first six months, which isn't means tested.

Does mortgage protection affect income based JSA as i have finished the 6 month period for contribution based JSA and now have to re-apply for income based JSA. Are the mortgage payments from paymentshield etc. seen as income?
  • stephen2546
    Options
    hi how did you go on with claiming the jsa (income based) i am min exactly the same position as you were and wondered if they knocked your money down when taking insurance into account
  • Tino_2
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry for hijacking this thread but my question is along a similar vein so thought it would be best to keep it in the same thread.

Following a consultation period I was made redundant on Monday but I have been on 'garden leave' (stupid HR term) for the last 30 days and have already started doing a few things to make a bit of money - mainly selling some car parts on eBay.

What I was wondering is, are you allowed to make any income and still claim JSA, and if so, what is the upper limit?

Thanks,
    Tino
    Tino
  • emlucy32
    Options
    you can claim contrubutions based jobseekers and no income is taking into account for this but after the 6 months is up and you have to claim income based jobseekers they take the mortage protection into account as i have just found out :( im fumming about this as people who rent there houses get there rent and council tax paid for and still get the full amount in jobseekers allowance yet cause we have paid into a protection plan they take it into account and have also reduced my partners jobseekers allowance ,
    not a happy bunny today
  • hakko
    hakko Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Any one from JSA/DWP can give us input on this?

My dad had income protection to cover mortgage payments (it actually covers 50% of it).

Yet, seems JSA have reduced his allowance. And yes, he ended up in over draft, £180 in fees etc. etc.

Logically I thought his JSA would not be reduced, as it's for the mortgage payments, which he paid insurance for.

I suppose he is a homeowner and is asset rich, vs people in rented accomodation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport