Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jammy dodger
    • By jammy dodger 30th Jan 08, 9:21 PM
    • 1,112Posts
    • 5,384Thanks
    jammy dodger
    recipe for tiffin a no bake recipe
    • 30th Jan 08, 9:21 PM
    recipe for tiffin a no bake recipe 30th Jan 08 at 9:21 PM
    used plenty of recipes from this excellent forum thought i would share one of mine....not seen a recipe on here for Tiffin

250g biscuits crushed any broken bits will do

75g raisins

75g chopped cherries

4oz marg

4 tblsp syrup

25g cocoa powder

melt butter sugar cocoa and syrup in a pan mix in other dry ingredients

tip into a lined tin ....I use a 9 inch square tin depends how fat you want tiffin to be

dont press down to firmly or tiffin will be too hard

put in fridge to chill then cut into squares

ENJOY
Page 1
  • Olliebeak
    • 30th Jan 08, 9:29 PM
    • 30th Jan 08, 9:29 PM
    Many thanks for that one - sounds really good.
    • KittyKate
    • By KittyKate 23rd Mar 08, 4:13 PM
    • 1,515 Posts
    • 1,925 Thanks
    KittyKate
    • 23rd Mar 08, 4:13 PM
    Tiffin recipe please?
    • 23rd Mar 08, 4:13 PM
    Hi, has anyone got a tiffin recipe please? It's 80p a small slice in the cafe next to work
    • curly cabbage
    • By curly cabbage 23rd Mar 08, 4:16 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    curly cabbage
    • 23rd Mar 08, 4:16 PM
    • 23rd Mar 08, 4:16 PM
    I love tiffin too, but i don't have a recipes. try gooogleing it i'll have a look see.

CC
    • curly cabbage
    • By curly cabbage 23rd Mar 08, 4:20 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    curly cabbage
    • 23rd Mar 08, 4:20 PM
    • 23rd Mar 08, 4:20 PM
    had a look and this one looks good http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=1379&threadid=113491 and has a malters in it.

CC
    • Sagaris
    • By Sagaris 23rd Mar 08, 4:23 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 4,823 Thanks
    Sagaris
    • 23rd Mar 08, 4:23 PM
    • 23rd Mar 08, 4:23 PM
    How about this?

4 oz butter
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 tablespoons cocoa powder
    1 tablespoon golden syrup
    2 tablespoons raisins
    8oz Rich Tea or Digestive biscuits
    5oz good quality milk chocolate
    Melt the butter and sugar with the syrup in a large pan.
    Add the raisins and cocoa powder, bring to the boil. Allow to bubble gently for two to three minutes to thicken a little.
    Meanwhile, crush the biscuits with a rolling pin, or you can pulse them in a food processor to give crumbs, depending on whether you prefer a smooth or chunky effect. Don't leave the biscuit pieces too large or the finished slab will tend to break up when cut.
    Mix the crumbs well into the melted mixture, coating thoroughly, press into a lined shallow Swiss roll tin and level out, pushing down the mixture well.
    Melt the chocolate carefully and spread over the top. Leave to set.
    Almost 2 stones gone!
    RIP Clio 1.9.93 - 7.4.10
    I WILL be tidy, I WILL be tidy!
  • Telute
    • 23rd Mar 08, 4:24 PM
    • 23rd Mar 08, 4:24 PM
    Don't make this very often - not having much fridge space and all but I think this should work.

150g of biscuits - digestives, ginger nuts, or similair
    75g nuts (or more biscuits if not doing nuts)
    4 tbsp golden syrup
    3 tbsp cocoa powder
    175g butter
    100g dried fruit

bash up bicuits and nuts if using. Melt butter and syrup. Add cocoa, and then throw everything else in pan and give it a good stir. Tip mixture into greased tin and firm down. Put in fridge to set.

Obviously you can vary the flavours depending on what fruit and biscuits you want to use.
  • chuckles1066
    • 23rd Mar 08, 4:26 PM
    • 23rd Mar 08, 4:26 PM
    Hi, has anyone got a tiffin recipe please?
    Originally posted by KittyKate

Younger members won't have a clue what I'm laughing about; older members who know who Sir Sidney RoughDiamond, Private Widdle et al were, will understand.
    You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky

Any advice that you receive from me is worth exactly what you paid for it. Not a penny more or a penny less.
    • morwenna
    • By morwenna 23rd Mar 08, 5:40 PM
    • 843 Posts
    • 4,587 Thanks
    morwenna
    • 23rd Mar 08, 5:40 PM
    • 23rd Mar 08, 5:40 PM

Younger members won't have a clue what I'm laughing about; older members who know who Sir Sidney RoughDiamond, Private Widdle et al were, will understand.
    Originally posted by chuckles1066
    Oh, stop messin' about!!
  • chuckles1066
    Oh, stop messin' about!!
    Originally posted by morwenna
    I preferred "oh I say, he did not half crack that one, did he not?"
    You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky

Any advice that you receive from me is worth exactly what you paid for it. Not a penny more or a penny less.
    • jess444
    • By jess444 23rd Mar 08, 5:43 PM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    jess444
    Hi,
    I had never even heard of tiffin, but it sounds YUM. Thanks.
    • skylight
    • By skylight 23rd Mar 08, 5:45 PM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 16,875 Thanks
    skylight

Originally posted by chuckles1066

Erm.... I never knew Tiffin was even a real cake!!! I always thought it was a humourous reference to the "activity" in the film...... (I owe MIL an apology.... I always smirked at her - and still never cottoned on)
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 23rd Mar 08, 6:04 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    AKA chocolate biscuit cake, no-bake chocolate cake, fridge cake

Lady Roughdiamond 'Call me an elephant!'
    Sir Sidney Roughdiamond 'You're an elephant'
    • slowlyfading
    • By slowlyfading 3rd Jan 11, 10:53 AM
    • 13,035 Posts
    • 75,212 Thanks
    slowlyfading
    Chocolate tiffin?
    Me and OH went to Co$ta Coffee for a treat a couple of days ago and he got a chocolate tiffin to eat. He really enjoyed it and I was wondering if anyone had a recipe? It was chocolate, biscuits and raisins so I was thinking it might be straight forward!

Thanks in advance
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr Seuss
    Personal Finance Blogger / June NSD - 2 / In pursuit of FIRE
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 3rd Jan 11, 11:39 AM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Me and OH went to Co$ta Coffee for a treat a couple of days ago and he got a chocolate tiffin to eat. He really enjoyed it and I was wondering if anyone had a recipe? It was chocolate, biscuits and raisins so I was thinking it might be straight forward!

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by slowlyfading
    It's sometimes known as chocolate biscuit cake

As this has fallen from the front page of OS, I'll add this to the existing thread to give you more recipe ideas. I have a new recipe that goes down very well; I'll post it later
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • slowlyfading
    • By slowlyfading 3rd Jan 11, 11:41 AM
    • 13,035 Posts
    • 75,212 Thanks
    slowlyfading
    Thanks Penny!
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr Seuss
    Personal Finance Blogger / June NSD - 2 / In pursuit of FIRE
  • destroyerofdebt2011
    we always called it refridgerator cake in our house and its a great recipe to teach young kids as other than melting the chocolate and the treacle etc (which we do in the micro for safety) theres no hot saucepans involved just a bit of stirring and lots of licking yummy chocolate of the inside of mixing Bowls.

Its also nice to mix the recipe up a bit and if u like a very sweet version swap the biscuits for Ginger nuts and the fruit for dried appricots and the milk chocolate to white still rather yummy !!
    HSBC £3223.20 £2060.00
    Cap1 £1724.91 £1782.00
    OD £939.78 £200.00
    No 49 of £2012 in 2012.. £645.10 so far & Crazy Clothes £14.09/£100.00 ReducingtheToiletryStash2012 UU12/IN 20 March Grocery 0.00/£65.00 & LbsNot£s Lost 14Lbs
  • Diflower
    I don't make it too often because I'm terrible at eating it

Made one the other day though, and used part shortbread, part Nice biscuits (from sburys basics pack), plus a few crumbled amaretti left from Christmas. For the fruit a few chopped apricots plus a handful of finely chopped crystallized ginger (still using a rather large bag dated 2009).
    Oh and the chocolate topping was sburys basics too, half dark half milk.
    Really yummy variation.
    I always check the recipe for the weight of biscuits & fruit, then just use whatever I have/fancy. You can swap some of either for nuts, good way to use the e.g. the last few bits of walnut pieces in a bag.

It's still really good at its plainest, using Rich tea biscuits and some raisins.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

704Posts Today

6,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin