New Post Advanced Search

Tiffin recipe please?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
17 replies 14K views
2»

Replies

• skylightskylight Forumite
    10.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Younger members won't have a clue what I'm laughing about; older members who know who Sir Sidney RoughDiamond, Private Widdle et al were, will understand.

Erm.... I never knew Tiffin was even a real cake!!! I always thought it was a humourous reference to the "activity" :D in the film...... (I owe MIL an apology.... I always smirked at her - and still never cottoned on) :o
  • thriftlady_2thriftlady_2 Forumite
    9.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    AKA chocolate biscuit cake, no-bake chocolate cake, fridge cake;)

Lady Roughdiamond 'Call me an elephant!'
    Sir Sidney Roughdiamond 'You're an elephant'
  • slowlyfadingslowlyfading Forumite
    13.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me and OH went to Co$ta Coffee for a treat a couple of days ago and he got a chocolate tiffin to eat. He really enjoyed it and I was wondering if anyone had a recipe? It was chocolate, biscuits and raisins so I was thinking it might be straight forward!

Thanks in advance :D
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger / In pursuit of FIRE :)
  • Penelope_PenguinPenelope_Penguin Forumite
    17.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Best Buy Bear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me and OH went to Co$ta Coffee for a treat a couple of days ago and he got a chocolate tiffin to eat. He really enjoyed it and I was wondering if anyone had a recipe? It was chocolate, biscuits and raisins so I was thinking it might be straight forward!

Thanks in advance :D

It's sometimes known as chocolate biscuit cake :)

As this has fallen from the front page of OS, I'll add this to the existing thread to give you more recipe ideas. I have a new recipe that goes down very well; I'll post it later ;)
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • slowlyfadingslowlyfading Forumite
    13.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Penny! :)
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger / In pursuit of FIRE :)
  • we always called it refridgerator cake in our house and its a great recipe to teach young kids as other than melting the chocolate and the treacle etc (which we do in the micro for safety) theres no hot saucepans involved just a bit of stirring and lots of licking yummy chocolate of the inside of mixing Bowls.

Its also nice to mix the recipe up a bit and if u like a very sweet version swap the biscuits for Ginger nuts and the fruit for dried appricots and the milk chocolate to white still rather yummy !!
    HSBC [STRIKE]£3223.20[/STRIKE] £2060.00
    Cap1 [STRIKE]£1724.91[/STRIKE] £1782.00
    OD [STRIKE]£939.78[/STRIKE] £200.00
    No 49 of £2012 in 2012.. £645.10 so far & Crazy Clothes £14.09/£100.00 ReducingtheToiletryStash2012 UU12/IN 20 March Grocery 0.00/£65.00 & LbsNot£s Lost 14Lbs
  • DiflowerDiflower Forumite
    601 posts
    I don't make it too often because I'm terrible at eating it;)

Made one the other day though, and used part shortbread, part Nice biscuits (from sburys basics pack), plus a few crumbled amaretti left from Christmas. For the fruit a few chopped apricots plus a handful of finely chopped crystallized ginger (still using a rather large bag dated 2009).
    Oh and the chocolate topping was sburys basics too, half dark half milk.
    Really yummy variation.
    I always check the recipe for the weight of biscuits & fruit, then just use whatever I have/fancy. You can swap some of either for nuts, good way to use the e.g. the last few bits of walnut pieces in a bag.

It's still really good at its plainest, using Rich tea biscuits and some raisins.