PayPal rejecting claim for fraudulent transactions

Options
2»

Comments

• Another_Guy
    Options
    The goods were eBay purchases of vouchers codes for items like Amazon & Xbox game codes so sending address is not relevant. Assuming they would have obtained these codes from logging into my eBay account and reading the messages from sellers.

I can't 100% say how they stole my details but suspect it occurred from my machine picking up a virus (which I later discovered when running a scan when returning home from work).

If the cause of the breach was due to neglect at my end, surely PayPal would have just advised something like: we are unable to reverse these transactions because they believe it's was affect of you not taking the necessary precautions to secure your data.

But instead they have just said they can't identify these transactions as unauthorised (which they clearly are).

I have since changed every password I can think of multiple times, replaced the pc hard drive with a fresh copy of Windows so no trace of the virus left on it.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    PayPal keep giving some BS about their investigation traced the IP addresses and have no evidence to believe this is an unauthorised transaction so refusing to reverse these transactions.
    This sounds like they believe the transactions to originate from a computer, phone, tablet or whatever that you have used in the past.
    You need to think really hard about this.
    The virus may be a red herring.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,275 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The goods were eBay purchases of vouchers codes for items like Amazon & Xbox game codes so sending address is not relevant. Assuming they would have obtained these codes from logging into my eBay account and reading the messages from sellers.

I can't 100% say how they stole my details but suspect it occurred from my machine picking up a virus (which I later discovered when running a scan when returning home from work).

If the cause of the breach was due to neglect at my end, surely PayPal would have just advised something like: we are unable to reverse these transactions because they believe it's was affect of you not taking the necessary precautions to secure your data.

But instead they have just said they can't identify these transactions as unauthorised (which they clearly are).

I have since changed every password I can think of multiple times, replaced the pc hard drive with a fresh copy of Windows so no trace of the virus left on it.

This bit you quoted is what is worrying me
    and have no evidence to believe this is an unauthorised transaction so refusing to reverse these transactions.

That is about as close as any financial institution will get to accusing anyone of being involved in some way, either direct or indirectly. A virus would not be showing an IP address connected to you so it might just be a co incidence.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Another_Guy
    Options
    Thought I'd add some extra detail about this despute.

I wish I had recorded this telephone conversation when I spoke to eBay.
    Because the unauthorised purchases made were for voucher & coupon codes, the sellers had actually broken the eBay terms and conditions by messaging or emailing me the keys instead of sending them in the post (which resulted in the hackers obtaining those details to later sell off). I was then told I not to worry and was reassured that I'll get my money and the sellers will be at loss so not my problem.

Unfortunately because I initially raised this dispute with PayPal first not realising the purchases were made from my eBay account (since the clever !!!!!!s deleted those specific items from my purchase history). eBay basically told me will now have to resolve this with PayPal since there's an open case with them.

PayPal rejected the claim not due my own neglect but because the purchases were made via eBay which had PayPal linked to the account (so apparently eBay's responsibility).

So basically if I had raised this despute with eBay first I would have got my money back. So I'm at loss due to a glitch in their processes.

Is it worth raising a complaint with financial ombudsman service with eBay too? (Already have one pending with PayPal).
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,275 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thought I'd add some extra detail about this despute.

I wish I had recorded this telephone conversation when I spoke to eBay.
    Because the unauthorised purchases made were for voucher & coupon codes, the sellers had actually broken the eBay terms and conditions by messaging or emailing me the keys instead of sending them in the post (which resulted in the hackers obtaining those details to later sell off). I was then told I not to worry and was reassured that I'll get my money and the sellers will be at loss so not my problem.

Unfortunately because I initially raised this dispute with PayPal first not realising the purchases were made from my eBay account (since the clever !!!!!!s deleted those specific items from my purchase history). eBay basically told me will now have to resolve this with PayPal since there's an open case with them.

PayPal rejected the claim not due my own neglect but because the purchases were made via eBay which had PayPal linked to the account (so apparently eBay's responsibility).

So basically if I had raised this despute with eBay first I would have got my money back. So I'm at loss due to a glitch in their processes.

Is it worth raising a complaint with financial ombudsman service with eBay too? (Already have one pending with PayPal).

This is not the case- a claim can be opened in either ebay or paypal for items bought on ebay.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure