PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is voluntary surrender an option?

Hi. I own a flat which I bought in 2007 before the market crashed. It’s on an interest only mortgage and in negative equity. My family and I moved out in 2013 and we bought a new house. Since the. I have rented it out. This morning the estate agent received the keys back through the post, the tenants having moved out. This is the third time this has happened to me. I can’t afford to pay mortgage payments for the flat without rent. It’s been a noose around my neck. It costs me money every month to rent it out with the mortgage, insurance and boiler cover. I have a bad credit rating and no savings. I can’t afford to pay for a new tenant find and to be honest renting it out causes me a great deal of stress. I’ve been reading about voluntary surrender. Is this the way to go -
I’m unable to sell as there will be a shortfall of circa £25k. My next mortgage payment is due at the end of the month. I’m worried that anything I do will affect our home. Please help

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You can discuss voluntary surrender, but it's likely that if the lender agrees, you'll still owe them the shorfall - just as a loan instead of secured against the property.

But if you are about to default on repayments, as it sounds like, then speaking to the lender is best. Burying head in sand never works, and the sooner the better.

This morning the estate agent received the keys back through the post, the tenants having moved out.
    Did they serve notice? Or was it the end of the fixed term? Or did they just leave....

Do you know where they went? Pursuing them for rent is an option (depending on circumstances), as is keeping ther deposit.
  • No notice served and was t the end of their term. Was a rolling contract so their deposit will be kept. That’s not really the issue though. The issue is I have an empty flat again and tenants keep disappearing either without paying rent or leaving with no notice and I can’t afford to pay mortgages on 2 properties
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    No notice served and was t the end of their term. Was a rolling contract so their deposit will be kept.

Can't be both! Either it was the end of their (fixed) term, or it was a periodic (rolling) tenancy, requiring notice.

Does the deposit cover the full rent for the missing notice, which would be somewhere between one and two months probably. If not, you can sue.

That’s not really the issue though.

Except that every £ you can reclaim helps with the mortgage issue!

The issue is I have an empty flat again and tenants keep disappearing either without paying rent or leaving with no notice and I can’t afford to pay mortgages on 2 properties
    But you're right - the issue can only be resolved in cooperation with the lender, or by finding enough funds elsewhere to pay the motgage.
  • It was a rolling contract Above should have said wasn’t the end of heir term. Rent will cover one month but should have been 2 months notice
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 January 2020 at 10:47PM
    Voluntary surrender financially works in the same way as an involuntary repossession. If the lender doesn't get enough to cover what you owe, then you'll still owe them the shortfall.

The other option would be to discuss with the lender whether they'd accept whatever you can get from a "normal" sale - again you'd still owe them the shortfall, but the additional costs charged by the lender should be less, and it's likely to get a better price than being sold as a repossession. There's no obligation on lenders to go along with that, but if the alternative is a voluntary surrender then they might prefer it.
  • Have you had the property valued recently to confirm it's value?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • I haven’t but other flats in the street are going between £40 and £50k and I owe £72k
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    How about a Re-mortgage on your home to cover the loss when you sell, Or asking for a break on your Home mortgage payment to get ahead and help to cover the next couple of voids.
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    im always amazed when people buy a second house when in this situation. Massive risk. Do you have equity in current property you could utilise?
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • yksi
    yksi Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If you decide to keep it, change agents. The agent you're with seems to be choosing rubbish tenants - is it possible they aren't credit checking applicants? And get someone who'll require 12 month leases, plus you can specify the types of tenants you don't want - yes, discrimination is allowed so long as nobody puts it into writing or tells the unsuccessful applicants.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure