Comments

• Abbey1991
    Abbey1991 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    *Fewer places
  • CollinT
    CollinT Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Like the OP, I too have found some places, particularly small businesses who no longer accepting Amex.

My cat's vet in particular, who openly said it was down to the fees Amex charge. They said most people who have an Amex also have a Visa or Mastercard credit card, so they stopped accepting Amex.

Same with my local corner shop, who started accepting Amex when they were given a reduced 'start-up' rate by Amex, but they stopped when they went onto the normal rate. Like the vet they said most people also have a Visa or Mastercard credit card and they had never had a customer who couldn't pay via these methods instead of Amex.

As for large retailers, I have only found B&Q that doesn't accept Amex.

Collin.
  • blue.peter
    blue.peter Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Ok that's good. I did find out that BMW stopped taking it recently the other day which is quite a large change. No idea if national or just the local dealer.
    I think you'll find that it's something determined by the local dealer. They're usually independent companies that operate one to a few franchises.

(My local VW dealer has never accepted AmEx. I think it's the largest business I've come across that doesn't.)
  • smudger1964
    Options
    blue.peter wrote: »
    I think you'll find that it's something determined by the local dealer. They're usually independent companies that operate one to a few franchises.

(My local VW dealer has never accepted AmEx. I think it's the largest business I've come across that doesn't.)
    I was suprised on Sunday ...my local PRIMARK didnt accept it
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,476 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Costco were not AMEX only....:rotfl:
    Actually they were... the only credit card that could be used at Costco until the start of this month was Amex.

The would accept Visa Debit, Maestro and Mastercard Debit, although in the case of the latter they were quite picky about some of the newer Mastercards out there (Curve caused issues, for example).
  • anticlaus105
    anticlaus105 Posts: 475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 January 2020 at 12:47PM
    Options
    I haven't seen much change over the years. For a lot of online stuff I can get round it with paypal.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I haven't seen much change over the years. For a lot of online stuff I can get round it with paypal.

For those of that g ack a bit, PayPal is recent, it also Izettle I’ve only noticed the last year or 2.
    So going back before PayPal those payment methods have made a difference if you go back that far.
  • ttoli
    ttoli Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I work for a travel company in Cyprus, the banks here charge the retailer 10% to process Amex transactions, hence we no longer accept Amex.
  • wiseonesomeofthetime
    Options
    I was suprised on Sunday ...my local PRIMARK didnt accept it

I was surprised that my local Primark did!!!!
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have Amex as my card for Apple Pay, never had a problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure