Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Naomi
    • By MSE Naomi 29th Nov 19, 1:48 PM
    • 349Posts
    • 77Thanks
    MSE Naomi
    Over 115,000 HSBC and Santander customers owed overdraft charge refunds - MSE News
    • 29th Nov 19, 1:48 PM
    Over 115,000 HSBC and Santander customers owed overdraft charge refunds - MSE News 29th Nov 19 at 1:48 PM
    HSBC and Santander are to refund more than 115,000 customers after failing to alert them via text when they went into their unarranged overdraft...
    Read the full story:
    'Over 115,000 HSBC and Santander customers owed overdraft charge refunds'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • scgf
    • By scgf 29th Nov 19, 2:47 PM
    • 537 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    scgf
    • 29th Nov 19, 2:47 PM
    • 29th Nov 19, 2:47 PM
    FFS. The stupid get yet more compensation. If you really can't be bothered to keep records of your spending and you don't know whether you're overdrawn or not, why should you be rewarded for it? There is far too much of this going on. It obviously pays to be stupid.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 29th Nov 19, 3:01 PM
    • 12,153 Posts
    • 15,070 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 29th Nov 19, 3:01 PM
    • 29th Nov 19, 3:01 PM
    FFS. The stupid get yet more compensation. If you really can't be bothered to keep records of your spending and you don't know whether you're overdrawn or not, why should you be rewarded for it? There is far too much of this going on. It obviously pays to be stupid.
    Originally posted by scgf
    It's nothing to do with customer stupidity - the banks concerned broke a legal order and are therefore obliged to make automatic compensation payments to customers, regardless of whether customers were actually affected financially.

I might have more sympathy with your position if customers were consciously trying to exploit a loophole and actively pursuing the banks, but this is simply the government taking enforcement action following repeated breaches of the regulations by these institutions and hitting them where it hurts.

Some of the Santander breaches involved failure to store customer phone numbers properly for example, so the banks are clearly at fault here and have little scope to dispute the consequences....
    • scgf
    • By scgf 29th Nov 19, 4:40 PM
    • 537 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    scgf
    • 29th Nov 19, 4:40 PM
    • 29th Nov 19, 4:40 PM
    I understand what you're saying, but I see friends receiving thousands of pounds in compensation for bank 'errors' yet I have received not one penny because I've always been aware of what was going on. A close friend received a huge PPI payout, yet she didn't feel the pain of paying for the PPI in the first place and seems to have benefiited much more from paying for it and receiving compensation than I have from not paying it in the first place..
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 29th Nov 19, 6:45 PM
    • 12,153 Posts
    • 15,070 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 29th Nov 19, 6:45 PM
    • 29th Nov 19, 6:45 PM
    I understand what you're saying, but I see friends receiving thousands of pounds in compensation for bank 'errors' yet I have received not one penny because I've always been aware of what was going on.
    Likewise I can understand why you might have some sense of indignation about missing out on a windfall that others (accidentally) benefit from, but I still think it's misplaced, as it's not really related to knowing what's going on as such, it's just that bank failures happen not to have coincided with your own accounts.

A close friend received a huge PPI payout, yet she didn't feel the pain of paying for the PPI in the first place and seems to have benefiited much more from paying for it and receiving compensation than I have from not paying it in the first place..
    Although PPI is different from this current issue (in the sense that compensation was claim-driven), I fail to understand how PPI compensation (designed to put the wronged customer back to where they would have been) could advantage anyone financially over someone who chose not to take out PPI?

Believe me, I'm no fan of compensation culture but genuinely don't see this case as being part of that particular bandwagon....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

171Posts Today

1,713Users online

Martin's Twitter