Why don't Asda accept AMEX cashback card?

Options

Comments

• Terry_Towelling
    Options
    moneywow1 wrote: »
    This happens with some of my cards.

They work in some ATMs, but not others. It's because I carry them in my pocket and I think the chip gets worn away.

Contactless not working is a bit weird tho

If the CHIP is damaged, it is most likely to not work anywhere - but I guess it could vary from device to device. You could test your theory by asking for a 'damage' replacement and see if that works everywhere.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's the whole lot of them. Chip & pin, contactless, Google Pay. I wondered if she'd maybe entered her PIN wrong or entered mine in error but she tried again another time with 100% the right PIN and no joy.
    I wasn't sure whether to take it up with Asda or AMEX so i'll get in touch.

So, just who's PIN is on this card of yours that your mother is using?

Could be that Amex have blocked the card due to wrong pin attempts as a security check. This will block ALL card usage.

No point in speaking to Asda. It Amex you need to speak too.
    Life in the slow lane
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    However, it strikes me that there is a significant risk of transactions being declined on your card if you are using it 'contactless' and your mother is using the physical piece of plastic at the same time.

For example, you might make a transaction in one part of the country and your mother might do the same in another place at more or less the same time. Your issuer's fraud-detection systems may decline transactions like these because it should be impossible for your card to be in two places at once.
    Ok i was going to ignore it but since it's a theme that seems to be running throughout most responses i'll reply to it since you actually went in to some detail on it.

Not possible.

Why? Because we wont be spending at the opposite ends of the country, we live in the same small area.

But we could be spending at different shops at the same time in the same area you say.

Not possible.

I spend zero between Monday and Friday as i'm at work. My mother does her weekly shop midweek.
    If i use my card it is likely a Sunday - my only day of the week off work which is also a day my mother doesn't go out, so can't spend.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    born_again wrote: »
    If she has entered the pin wrong a few times. It could be its locked.

Try going to a ATM and select pin services and pin unlock.
    Unless it's sometimes locked and sometimes not then this wont be the case as i've been with my wife after she had it fail in Asda. I saw her use it, chip and pin, in Sainsbury's and it worked fine.
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    What response does she get? Declined? If yes you need to contact Amex as this is not an Asda problem.
    Yes. Looks like Amex will be getting contacted then.
    born_again wrote: »
    So, just who's PIN is on this card of yours that your mother is using?
    Well it'd be my PIN as it's my card.
    Could be that Amex have blocked the card due to wrong pin attempts as a security check. This will block ALL card usage.
    Not possible, my mother knows my PIN. Also if she ever enters my PIN wrong which in all the times i've ever loaned her my card over the years has only ever happened once, she never tries it again, even though at that time she knew she'd entered her own PIN in error. She just uses a different card as that's what i told her to do to avoid any PIN locking.
  • You’re still missing the point.
    You shouldn’t be loaning “your” card.

I put “your” like this, because actually the card belongs to Amex.

When you call them, please ensure that you tell them the issue is when you loan your mother “your” card and pin so she can go shopping with it and it’s when she uses it and not you.

And see how they respond.
  • The_Urbanite
    Options
    Now i know there'll be people who reply that yes they do but i'm wanting to try and find out why they don't accept mine.

Asda's website claim they do: http://asda-stores.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail_grow/a_id/1890/~/payment-methods

Yes there's the "ask us a question" link at the bottom of that link but as i suspect their reply wont be instant and i'm wondering if anyone here may have gone through the same and got the answer, i thought i'd try here first...

I recently opened the Amex cashback card and got a second card for my wife to use. I loaded my card to my iPhone as i don't frequently spend, gave my card to my mother to use and my wife uses her card.

Have been finding out which stores do and don't take the card. Some weren't a surprise (small coffee shops), others were (our local corner shop) but the that's really surprised me is Asda.

My wife has used her card on a few occasions, or at least tried to. She's tried contactless, she's tried chip & pin and she's tried Google Pay - it's rejected each on more than one day.
    Sainsbury's has never been a problem other than midweek i went to use Apple Pay and it wanted me to present the card (so luckily i had my HSBC debit card loaded to my Apple Pay) whereas today i had no such issue in Sainsbury's.

Any idea regards Asda?

My suggestion would be to arrange supplementary cards for anyone you want linked to your account and stick to using chip and pin in Asda. Contactless doesn't work.
  • Marchitiello
    Options
    Actually is fairly well known that some places ( I know ASDA and Costa Coffee for personal experience) have problems accepting contactless/ Apple Pay/ Google pay someone times but will not have issues using the card for chip and pin.
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Up until recently I've always been able to use AMEX at Asda, just not via contactless. However my card was rejected on Friday in such a way as to make me think that they might have stopped taking Amex (or perhaps there was just a temporary problem with them that day).
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    msallen wrote: »
    Up until recently I've always been able to use AMEX at Asda, just not via contactless. However my card was rejected on Friday in such a way as to make me think that they might have stopped taking Amex (or perhaps there was just a temporary problem with them that day).
    Hw exactly was it 'rejected'. Can you be more precise as to how this rejection occurred?
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    My suggestion would be to arrange supplementary cards for anyone you want linked to your account and stick to using chip and pin in Asda. Contactless doesn't work.
    Don't they allow only the one? Or do you have to pay extra for a second additional? I'm sure i read something that lead me to believe i was fine to get an additional for my wife but not my mother (or indeed anyone after my wife). Again, not to get my words misunderstood or to have my words picked apart (common theme), i don't actually necessarily mean my wife but rather the first additional card, which in this case has my wife's name on it.
    Actually is fairly well known that some places ( I know ASDA and Costa Coffee for personal experience) have problems accepting contactless/ Apple Pay/ Google pay someone times but will not have issues using the card for chip and pin.
    Thanks. I'll tell my wife to try again but specifically only chip and pin.
    msallen wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport