Esa backdated

Options
Hi new here. My husband and i have a joint esa claim and about two years ago he was asked for an assessment, his dr wrote a letter to request a home visit it took TWO YEARS to be done he has now been moved to the support group but has only been backdated 1 week. Is this fair? It wasn't our fault it took them two years to get to us, if he was well enough to travel to the assessment center it would of changed two years ago. Is it worth writing to them? Thanks for any advice

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    It is not acceptable for a home visit to take 2 years to arrange. I agree that it is not fair, and in normal circumstances I would say get on to your MP about it. As parliament is no longer in session I don't think you will get much help in that area. It's certainly worth writing to them to explain the situation and ask why it has only been backdated 1 week.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is worth writing to them.
    Use this form:
    https://www.gov.uk/mandatory-reconsideration

From memory (others will tell you if I'm right or not) I recall that if your husband notified a change of circumstance then and the assessment confirmed this, then the payment should be from notification of that change.
    If a new claim, and your first assessment, it should be backdated to the 13th (or 14th) week of the claim.

I would get in touch with your MP, as their caseworkers are likely to be still working.

That certainly doesn't sound right to me,

Is your husband in receipt of PIP?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »

From memory (others will tell you if I'm right or not) I recall that if your husband notified a change of circumstance then and the assessment confirmed this, then the payment should be from notification of that change.

I'm fairly certain that's not correct for ESA, i do believe that if a change of circumstances is reported and the award changes in favour of the claimant then it's from the date of the decision.

PIP is from the date the changes were reported.
  • Kim89x
    Kim89x Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    He has been on esa for about 5 years it was a review assessment. Thankyou for you're reply i will write to them.
  • Kim89x
    Options
    When i rang them before we finally had the appointment they said they didnt have enough people to do home visits.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Kim89x wrote: »
    He has been on esa for about 5 years it was a review assessment. Thankyou for you're reply i will write to them.
    The extra money will be from the date of the decision.
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It takes time for ESA to work out the large arrears payment due I am sure it will follow.
  • Kim89x
    Options
    They said from the 1st of November his payment will change.
  • sportsarb
    sportsarb Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain that's not correct for ESA, i do believe that if a change of circumstances is reported and the award changes in favour of the claimant then it's from the date of the decision.

This is how I understand it too.

I do think a complaint is in order though on the basis of maladministration, two years is a ridiculous amount of time to make someone wait for a reassessment just because they asked for a home visit, it probably wont result in the decision being changed but it might (I stress, might) result in some form of compensation.
  • Kim89x
    Options
    Yeah i will write to them something might come of it :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business