Section 75 refund - a query

Evening All,

Would be grateful for your advice.

I was recently successful refunded for a booking for rail/hotel stay after the travel company went into administration, The refund was for the full amount of the booking.

Having returned from my trip today I would like to contact my credit card company to discuss returning some of the monies paid to me as I was only "out of pocket" for the hotel part of the stay (the rail tickets were valid), As it was a package I didn't have a break-down of how much each part of the booking cost.

My question is - if the hotel part of the stay (rebooked by me) was under £100 will they expect to take the full amount? (as opposed to money paid to me minus the cost of the rebooked hotel?

Your thoughts, as always, appreciated.

Comments

• mn92
    mn92 Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Happibunni wrote: »
    Evening All,

Would be grateful for your advice.

I was recently successful refunded for a booking for rail/hotel stay after the travel company went into administration, The refund was for the full amount of the booking.

Having returned from my trip today I would like to contact my credit card company to discuss returning some of the monies paid to me as I was only "out of pocket" for the hotel part of the stay (the rail tickets were valid), As it was a package I didn't have a break-down of how much each part of the booking cost.

My question is - if the hotel part of the stay (rebooked by me) was under £100 will they expect to take the full amount? (as opposed to money paid to me minus the cost of the rebooked hotel?

Your thoughts, as always, appreciated.

Why would you want to give back money that they have already paid to you after a successful claim under the section 75? Even though you were only ''out of pocket'' for the hotel part of your holidays, the credit card company gave you what was appropriate based on the package amount. No reason to worry about it or to give them money back ;)
  • Just feels like the right thing to do? (damn you, conscience).

Never had to make a section 75 claim before - doesn't seem right to pocket a few hundred pounds that i haven't "lost". Is it acceptable to keep quiet?
  • mn92
    mn92 Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Happibunni wrote: »
    Just feels like the right thing to do? (damn you, conscience).

Never had to make a section 75 claim before - doesn't seem right to pocket a few hundred pounds that i haven't "lost". Is it acceptable to keep quiet?

Well, if it makes you feel better then yes you could try calling them (to ease your conscience). It would be ok to not call them. You haven't done a fraudulent claim, so the cc company paid the right amount. That's why section 75 is so powerful and it's good that you used your credit card for your packaged holidays. :)
  • Would have been a chargeback anyway so your bank won’t be out of pocket.

Comments above are way off as always on here.

Sounds like a Superbreaks claim
  • The extent of your losses is something the card company should have considered when assessing your claim. I am wondering whether what they've actually done is raise a Chargeback to the travel company's processing bank. If so, there is still a chance that the rail travel portion of the Chargeback will be disputed by them and that amount represented to your bank.

Much depends on how functional the travel company is in the hands of the administrator and how effectively both they and the processing bank are able to communicate.

I'd sit tight for the time being and see what transpires over the next couple of months. If, after that, you've heard nothing and your conscience is still bothering you, you could contact your bank and tell them they gave you too much and see what they say. If they simply absorbed the total loss themselves, they'll possibly ask for the rail portion back. If they raised a Chargeback and it hasn't been represented, they'll probably tell you to keep it.

If you still insist they get the monies back to the retailer/administrator/processor, you can ask them to raise a Credit Chargeback or to invite a Representment from the processing bank for the amount in question. I suspect they'll still suggest you keep it.
  • The extent of your losses is something the card company should have considered when assessing your claim. I am wondering whether what they've actually done is raise a Chargeback to the travel company's processing bank. If so, there is still a chance that the rail travel portion of the Chargeback will be disputed by them and that amount represented to your bank.

Much depends on how functional the travel company is in the hands of the administrator and how effectively both they and the processing bank are able to communicate.

I'd sit tight for the time being and see what transpires over the next couple of months. If, after that, you've heard nothing and your conscience is still bothering you, you could contact your bank and tell them they gave you too much and see what they say. If they simply absorbed the total loss themselves, they'll possibly ask for the rail portion back. If they raised a Chargeback and it hasn't been represented, they'll probably tell you to keep it.

If you still insist they get the monies back to the retailer/administrator/processor, you can ask them to raise a Credit Chargeback or to invite a Representment from the processing bank for the amount in question. I suspect they'll still suggest you keep it.

Correct

The only way a card issuer would pay out under s75 for service not received was if they had no chargeback option. Which basically means the customer waited for months without claiming, if not 18 months in total. Basically the odds are minuscule.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure