Best wifi dongle for strong range/coverage

We have just got the latest Sky Q router and have always struggled with slow interent/poor range in our

When I had a look at the settings of the router it also had an option of 5Ghz. Can I use the 5Ghz for the one furthest away in the bedroom whilst the other closer devices continue to use 2.4ghz

Can anyone recommend a wifi dongle that they have found to have an improvement in a upstairs room or a room furthest away from their router?

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Wifi isn't always specifically device dependent, a lot depends on the make up of the house you're in.

You can try it on 5Ghz if you like providing your other devices can see it, otherwise if they're 2.4Ghz only its a fruitless endeavour.

You might have to move the router, or increase its height to improve the range.

Might be of interest:
    https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Broadband-What-affects-your-WiFi-signal
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    We have just got the latest Sky Q router and have always struggled with slow interent/poor range in our

When I had a look at the settings of the router it also had an option of 5Ghz. Can I use the 5Ghz for the one furthest away in the bedroom whilst the other closer devices continue to use 2.4ghz

Can anyone recommend a wifi dongle that they have found to have an improvement in a upstairs room or a room furthest away from their router?
    The primary differences between the two frequencies are the range (coverage) and bandwidth (speed) that the bands provide. The 2.4 GHz band provides coverage at a longer range but transmits data at slower speeds. The 5 GHz band provides less coverage but transmits data at faster speeds.

The range is lower in the 5 GHz band because higher frequencies cannot penetrate solid objects, such as walls and floors. However, higher frequencies allow data to be transmitted faster than lower frequencies, so the 5 GHz band allows you to upload and download files faster.

Your WiFi connection on a particular frequency band can also be faster or slower because of interference from other devices. Many WiFi-enabled technologies and other household devices use the 2.4 GHz band, including microwaves and garage door openers. When multiple devices attempt to use the same radio space, overcrowding occurs. The 5 GHz band tends to have less overcrowding than the 2.4GHz band because fewer devices use it and because it has 23 channels for devices to use, while the 2.4GHz band has only 11 channels. The number of channels that are available to you depends on the regulatory domain. If you’re experiencing a lot of interference from other devices, consider using the 5 GHz band

https://kb.netgear.com/29396/What-is-the-difference-between-2-4-GHz-and-5-GHz-wireless-frequencies
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 11 October 2019 at 10:14PM
    Aren't sky advertising (like BT) for whole house wifi? Just a question not a solution though
    https://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/why-sky-broadband/
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • EveryWhere wrote: »
    Your WiFi connection on a particular frequency band can also be faster or slower because of interference from other devices. Many WiFi-enabled technologies and other household devices use the 2.4 GHz band, including microwaves and garage door openers. When multiple devices attempt to use the same radio space, overcrowding occurs. The 5 GHz band tends to have less overcrowding than the 2.4GHz band because fewer devices use it and because it has 23 channels for devices to use, while the 2.4GHz band has only 11 channels. The number of channels that are available to you depends on the regulatory domain. If you’re experiencing a lot of interference from other devices, consider using the 5 GHz band

https://kb.netgear.com/29396/What-is-the-difference-between-2-4-GHz-and-5-GHz-wireless-frequencies
    Yes but 5GHz has lower range compared to 2.4
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • EveryWhere
    Yes but 5GHz has lower range compared to 2.4

Yes, that is why I posted it for the OP to read and understand.
    Yes, that is why I posted it for the OP to read and understand.
    That's why I posted about sky doing what BT do :cool:
  • EveryWhere
    That's why I posted about sky doing what BT do :cool:

£5 extra per month for a guaranteed 3 Mbps connection in every room.
    £5 extra per month for a guaranteed 3 Mbps connection in every room.
    Murdoch prices pants...
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 October 2019 at 9:59AM
    I use something similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxesla-Adapter-802-11ac-Wireless-Compatible/dp/B07PMS4BFC/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp

Works wonders in my upstairs office room where the wifi on my laptop is rubbish.

And to answer your question about other devices using wifi at 2.4Ghz then yes these will be fine, it's called a dual band router for a reason.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    that dongle will at leas have to have a long antenna,

for single room use i would get a wifi enabled powerplug, but it could be best to get a mesh system that covers your house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure