Can a credit card have a -ve balance?

Options
I have a credit card that I rarely use and therefore has a balance of zero the vast majority of the time.
However, yesterday I received a red hot tip (yes, I know) and decided to stick on a wager. The last time I placed a bet, you had to go into an actual bookies to do it, so I am a complete novice with online gambling. I proceeded to sign up to a well known bookmakers, and the last step in the procedure asks for card details and an initial deposit (I deposited £100). Without thinking it through, I decided to use this particular credit card (Halifax clarity card) - I think my logic was that I wanted to get the bet on quickly and didn't want to mess around transferring money from my savings account to my current account.

My question now is, when (ok, if) the bet comes in, I will have £390 sat in my betting account, that I believe I can only transfer to the associated card, i.e. my credit card. Minus the outlay, I will end up with a credit card balance of -£290. Does anybody know if that is even possible, and whether/how I could transfer that into my current account? Or would I just have to switch to doing my normal spending on this card until the balance is back to zero? I'd rather not have to do the latter as the vast majority of my financial life now takes place via joint accounts, so would then have to reimburse myself. (Personal money is purely reserved for stupid stuff like this)

Thanks

Comments

• stevenhp1987
    Options
    I believe you only have to send the money you deposited back to the card of origin.

If your card ends up in a negative balance for this reason, just contact your card provider and they'll transfer it to your bank account.

Gambling with a credit card will also cost you additional amounts in cash advance charges and show on your credit report as a cash advance which will negatively impact you. It will also charge you interest from the time of the transaction until the repayment with no interest-free period as would be normal if you paid your statement off in full.

If you must gamble, only gamble using your Debit card in future.
  • moneyhelpuser5
    Options
    I've been £1,000 in "negative" credit on a Halifax clarity card before. It's no problem, you can either spend it or ring them and ask them to transfer it to your CA. :)
  • Monkey_B
    Monkey_B Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Gambling with a credit card will also cost you additional amounts in cash advance charges and show on your credit report as a cash advance which will negatively impact you. It will also charge you interest from the time of the transaction until the repayment with no interest-free period as would be normal if you paid your statement off in full.

Gah! Didn't know this - this bet had better come off!

Is it worth me settling the £100 balance straight away to minimise the interest payments on the 'cash advance'? The outcome of the wager may not be known for a couple of weeks, so I will possibly have to wait to reimburse from my betting account (and that's assuming I win of course!)

With regards to getting the card provider (Halifax) to transfer the negative balance to my current account - does it matter that my current account is with a different bank (HSBC)?
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,626 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would settle the £100 asap. It is usually referred to as a positive balance when you put a card in credit but you can ask for the amount to be transferred to any bank account
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • General_Grant
    Options
    Monkey_B wrote: »
    Gah! Didn't know this - this bet had better come off!

Is it worth me settling the £100 balance straight away to minimise the interest payments on the 'cash advance'? The outcome of the wager may not be known for a couple of weeks, so I will possibly have to wait to reimburse from my betting account (and that's assuming I win of course!)

With regards to getting the card provider (Halifax) to transfer the negative balance to my current account - does it matter that my current account is with a different bank (HSBC)?

I have to give the obvious answer -
    YES, pay the £100 now. If you win, that can be offset against the interest already incurred.
  • Monkey_B
    Options
    Hmm, interesting. Just logged on to Halifax online banking to pay the £100, and there's no sign of the transaction. I did it at about 6 o'clock yesterday evening.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,626 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It may take a while to get posted to the account - you can probably see that your available balance is less than the actual amount showing due to the pending transaction.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Monkey_B
    Options
    Ah yes, thanks MallyGirl
  • garth549
    garth549 Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Be aware that a gambling transaction on a credit card will usually count as a cash transaction (ie treated as though you'd withdrawn an equivalent amount from the cash machine on it)

If you win then legally they have to refund the sum of your total deposits to the original card before you can take the remainder another way. In fact i'm not sure it's even possible to credit a credit card by a higher amount than the sum of the deposits.
  • sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 October 2019 at 4:49PM
    Options
    Phone them up and explain that your card details were saved in your browser and you accidentally used the the wrong card, offer to pay the £100 + any interest / charges .... and then when it's all done ask them if they can not record it as it was a mistake?

They might say they can't do that but it's worth a shot, I think the marker on your file for a cash advance is the biggest problem here, even over the interest.

Might also help to talk to them before it comes off your card balance and is still "pending".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure