Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WLM21
    • By WLM21 11th Sep 19, 10:20 AM
    • 1,235Posts
    • 361Thanks
    WLM21
    Protection for a New Shed
    • 11th Sep 19, 10:20 AM
    Protection for a New Shed 11th Sep 19 at 10:20 AM
    I am awaiting delivery of my new 7 x 5 shed in about a weeks time for my allotment. I decided to go for a decent tongue and groove shed, which hopefully will last at least 10 years (just hoping I make it for 10 years too) I am obviously keen to protect it properly.

Looking at just one shop for now (Wilko) there seems to be a vast choice of products. I think I'll be going for the preservative type product (brown) rather than one of the coloured exterior paints.

There is so much to choose from including ...

Ronseal One Coat Fence Life Harvest Gold Exterior Wood Paint 5L 8.00

Wilko Timbercare Red Cedar Exterior Wood Paint 5L 4.25

Cuprinol 5 Year Ducksback Harvest Brown Exterior Wood Paint 5L 14.00

Wilko Wax Enriched Timbercare Redwood Exterior Wood Paint 5L 9.00

No doubt the other stores, B&Q, Wickes, Homebase, Screwfix have their own brands too as well as the common brands, but which one is best.

I think brushing rather than spraying is the better option, but which product do I choose ?

What would the experts here recommend please ?
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Sep 19, 10:57 AM
    • 29,496 Posts
    • 102,311 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 11th Sep 19, 10:57 AM
    • 11th Sep 19, 10:57 AM
    I would recommend anything spirit based, preferably creosote, but although I can buy that, you probably can't, so Creocote it is. Colour choice is brown and dark brown, but it's an allotment, so aesthetics are probably less important. Protect your hands/skin.

Two coats initially and then one every year on the outside. Occasional extra coats inside. It fades quite quickly, but my sheds are 10 years old and there's no rot. They weren't tanalised, which would have been best of all, but the chap who made them for me charged enough as it was!
    Opportunities may be missed, especially when they arrive disguised as hard work.

• Paula Smith
    • By Paula Smith 11th Sep 19, 4:34 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Paula Smith
    • 11th Sep 19, 4:34 PM
    • 11th Sep 19, 4:34 PM
    Old engine oil for bits that you aren't going to see/touch
    • savemoney
    • By savemoney 11th Sep 19, 7:33 PM
    • 13,106 Posts
    • 11,687 Thanks
    savemoney
    • 11th Sep 19, 7:33 PM
    • 11th Sep 19, 7:33 PM
    I use culprinol garden shades on my allotment shed. Still good as new 5 years later
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 12th Sep 19, 6:53 AM
    • 1,451 Posts
    • 1,227 Thanks
    Apodemus
    • 12th Sep 19, 6:53 AM
    • 12th Sep 19, 6:53 AM
    Old engine oil for bits that you aren't going to see/touch
    Originally posted by Paula Smith
    ...mixed with diesel or petrol to help it soak in and dry off and it will be fine for the bits you can see and may touch.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Sep 19, 6:58 AM
    • 29,496 Posts
    • 102,311 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 12th Sep 19, 6:58 AM
    • 12th Sep 19, 6:58 AM
    I agree Cuprinol Garden Shades seems to last well on objects that need a colour other than brown. Old engine oil is very carcinogenic, so gloves are a must if going down that route, same as with creosote etc.

I'd also add that how a base is prepared counts too when avoiding rot. I always put my sheds on bearers and get an air flow underneath.
    Opportunities may be missed, especially when they arrive disguised as hard work.

• savemoney
    • By savemoney 12th Sep 19, 9:25 AM
    • 13,106 Posts
    • 11,687 Thanks
    savemoney
    • 12th Sep 19, 9:25 AM
    • 12th Sep 19, 9:25 AM
    yes my shed is on bearers too the ground underneath shed has garden membrane and gravel too. I also concreted the shed on each corner with angle irons because we get a lot of wind on allotment in Autumn

Wilkos do a cheaper version of garden shades I have used it on other projects and seems just as good a different colours. My neighbours used it on her new shed and so far 18 months its fine. Both products do need a couple of coats, mine had 3

This was taken last year and since then I just built a leanto at the front

I agree Cuprinol Garden Shades seems to last well on objects that need a colour other than brown. Old engine oil is very carcinogenic, so gloves are a must if going down that route, same as with creosote etc.

I'd also add that how a base is prepared counts too when avoiding rot. I always put my sheds on bearers and get an air flow underneath.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Last edited by savemoney; 12-09-2019 at 9:28 AM.
    • Stratus
    • By Stratus 13th Sep 19, 9:29 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Stratus
    • 13th Sep 19, 9:29 AM
    • 13th Sep 19, 9:29 AM
    I've heard lots of people rave about Bedec Barn Paint. I have no personal experience though and it looks pricey.

https://bedec.co.uk/bedec_products/barn-paint/
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 13th Sep 19, 6:25 PM
    • 1,803 Posts
    • 1,031 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 13th Sep 19, 6:25 PM
    • 13th Sep 19, 6:25 PM
    ...mixed with diesel or petrol to help it soak in and dry off and it will be fine for the bits you can see and may touch.
    Originally posted by Apodemus
    As well as being dangerous to your health if contacted by unprotected skin i would think that as a mixture it would be highly flammable and the fumes would not do you any good.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

133Posts Today

1,092Users online

Martin's Twitter