Owning a mobile phone will soon be compusory.

Options

Comments

• Squire_Fulwood
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    You can receive (and even send) texts on landlines so you don't even need a mobile. eg see

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8510/~/all-about-bt-text

This is Santander's plan

Santander - app, OTP to mobile
    https://www.santander.co.uk/personal/support/ways-to-bank/changes-to-how-you-log-on-to-online-banking

They could have included landline or email but they didn't.
    It's not my fault your honour, they made me do it.
  • Rainbowgirl84
    Rainbowgirl84 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Could they not have sent me an email? If I have online banking then I presumably have a computer. I can't think of why they insist I buy a mobile phone which I never had before they started this.

I did ask them what would happen if I didn't own a mobile and they said I would get a reduced banking service. Now that the phone will be used to log on then presumably I will get no online banking service at all without a mobile.

I don't readily accept the "you can change banks" argument since that won't change anything for the rest of the customers.

Something else I must admit to. For some time now I have been ticking on about web sites that do not function if you don't give them a mobile phone number. There are many work arounds. Who would have thought that putting in 13 0's would overcome the problem where the water company is concerned for example. It was only a matter of time before the freedom of choice to own or not to own a mobile was removed.

Santander has removed that freedom. Hence the title of the thread, which should have said that owning a mobile phone will soon be compulsory and now it is.

Except it isn't. I have Santander accounts and Santander don't have my mobile number.
  • Squire_Fulwood
    Squire_Fulwood Posts: 389 Forumite
    edited 24 July 2019 at 7:34AM
    Options
    Except it isn't. I have Santander accounts and Santander don't have my mobile number.

I could have got away with phoning them on a landline or going to nearest (?) branch in person. Soon I will not be able to log on when using online banking without a phone which I could do before.

I am intrigued to hear how you cope with this. If there is a way of using online banking without a phone I want to hear it since I keep the phone just for their use.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 July 2019 at 3:50PM
    Options
    You don't need a mobile phone but will need a mobile device capable of running the Android or iOS app, i.e a tablet. You will only need a mobile phone to use the internet banking site. You can currently get away without a mobile if you don't want to make any new payments or set up new DDs but under the new system you will need a OTP to log on.
  • singhini
    singhini Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP - its for your added security.

I have relatives in Kenya and they only use mobile phone banking (its called M-Pesa), no laptops just mobile phones to send and receive payments aswell as all other aspects of banking i.e. loans, savings accounts, insurance (its because village folk cant always get into the towns to go to the branches to bank paper money or sort out loans etc... (PS - paper money is dying out since M-Pesa has reduced the need for paper money).

they love it - their shocked that we don't use the system in the UK (though I did point out to them that I am able to do similar transactions via my phone i.e. rather than use my credit card for contactless payments I use my phone instead - its safer as it needs my fingerprint. if I lost my credit card, some !!!!!! could walk around town spending upto £30 in pubs, restaurants, shops etc. clocking up £100's.

The mobile phone method of banking is also being rolled out across other African nations aswell as India and China as we speak.

Its the future.
  • Squire_Fulwood
    Options
    singhini wrote: »
    OP - its for your added security.

I have relatives in Kenya and they only use mobile phone banking (its called M-Pesa), no laptops just mobile phones to send and receive payments aswell as all other aspects of banking i.e. loans, savings accounts, insurance (its because village folk cant always get into the towns to go to the branches to bank paper money or sort out loans etc... (PS - paper money is dying out since M-Pesa has reduced the need for paper money).

they love it - their shocked that we don't use the system in the UK (though I did point out to them that I am able to do similar transactions via my phone i.e. rather than use my credit card for contactless payments I use my phone instead - its safer as it needs my fingerprint. if I lost my credit card, some !!!!!! could walk around town spending upto £30 in pubs, restaurants, shops etc. clocking up £100's.

The mobile phone method of banking is also being rolled out across other African nations aswell as India and China as we speak.

Its the future.

I am pleased that banking is opening up for your relatives and for anyone anywhere but I would like to ask you a question.

How pleased would your relatives be if they were now told that their mobile banking would not work unless they owned a laptop/pc as well as a mobile phone and that they had to pay for it?

My online banking won't work unless I supply a mobile phone to receive OTP's when I already own a pc that receives emails.
  • Squire_Fulwood
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    You don't need a mobile phone but will need a mobile device capable of running the Android or iOS app, i.e a tablet. You will only need a mobile phone to use the internet banking site. You can currently get away without a mobile if you don't want to make any new payments or set up new DDs but under the new system you will need a OTP to log on.

Thank you for clarifying the situation.

You say that if I don't make new payments or set up DD's then I don't need a phone but will need a mobile to log on.

What sort of a banking service is that? It is one that I call unfit for purpose.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 July 2019 at 2:18PM
    Options
    Thank you for clarifying the situation.

You say that if I don't make new payments or set up DD's then I don't need a phone but will need a mobile to log on.

What sort of a banking service is that? It is one that I call unfit for purpose.
    That is the current situation but in future a mobile will be needed to get past the first step, as to whether or not you will need another OTP to make further transactions ........

Everything is headed in that direction, you now need a OTP to get a credit report from Creditwise.
  • singhini
    singhini Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am pleased that banking is opening up for your relatives and for anyone anywhere but I would like to ask you a question.

How pleased would your relatives be if they were now told that their mobile banking would not work unless they owned a laptop/pc as well as a mobile phone and that they had to pay for it?

My online banking won't work unless I supply a mobile phone to receive OTP's when I already own a pc that receives emails.

I can't comment on that as I am not them (though I can confirm they do have laptops already).

Personally I would just go out and get the relevant equipment needed to increase my security.
  • Squire_Fulwood
    Options
    singhini wrote: »
    I can't comment on that as I am not them (though I can confirm they do have laptops already).

Personally I would just go out and get the relevant equipment needed to increase my security.

I was forced to do so or not have a functioning banking service. I feel that it is wrong for a bank to put me to expense for their own purposes.

Also, "just go out and get" might not be affordable for some people and others might not get signal coverage.

Earlier there was a suggestion to just change banks. How does that improve signal coverage for those that don't get it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure