New warning over automated scam calls - MSE News

Options
Consumers are being warned to look out for automated phone calls pretending to be from their bank or card company, after a wave of reports of similar scams...
Read the full story:
'New warning over automated scam calls'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing new there then. Is this a "journalistic" "scoop"?
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I really have to wonder how credulous some people are that they will literally follow the instructions of someone who has called them out of the blue to transfer away all of their money, or withdraw lots of cash and give it to a stranger, or hand over their cards and PINs to a courier.

It's sad also that banks are now bound to refund people who do such stupid things, and that FOS now seem to take the line that they're liable for their customers doing such plainly idiotic things. It's not their fault, it's their customers' and the fraudsters'.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    An easy way to stop the scammers is a seven day transfer limit of £50 to new payees! Mind you some will still succumb to this!
  • FormulaDriven
    FormulaDriven Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    An easy way to stop the scammers is a seven day transfer limit of £50 to new payees! Mind you some will still succumb to this!

I don't think it needs to be seven days, but you put your finger on something which seems very obvious: that the big risk comes when the payee is new especially if the amount is large - that's when the banks should be putting the big warnings on the screen, or applying a delay, or requiring an additional step.

The generic warnings on the screen when I make an online payment appear even if the payee is someone I've paid many times before - but it's hardly like I'm being scammed if I'm paying my son £10 pocket money for the 20th month in a row! :rotfl:
  • JuicyJesus
    Options

Yes let's screw up bank transfers for people who need to use them to cater for idiots.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • JuicyJesus
    Options
    I don't think it needs to be seven days, but you put your finger on something which seems very obvious: that the big risk comes when the payee is new especially if the amount is large - that's when the banks should be putting the big warnings on the screen, or applying a delay, or requiring an additional step.

They already are in some cases. Nationwide is asking for the purpose of payments to new payees and displaying warnings if the reasons sound scammy.

And of course people are already screaming about what an invasion of privacy it is for Nationwide to ask why they're sending money somewhere.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bank scammers don't appear to have reached here- yet.
    They are too busy telling me Talktalk / BT/ 'my provider' will cut off my internet access and to press 1 to solve the problem
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Bank scammers don't appear to have reached here- yet.
    They are too busy telling me Talktalk / BT/ 'my provider' will cut off my internet access and to press 1 to solve the problem

I'm getting those too. Spookily though, my (usually very reliable fibre with John Lewis) internet has started randomly dropping:eek:.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    They already are in some cases. Nationwide is asking for the purpose of payments to new payees and displaying warnings if the reasons sound scammy.

And of course people are already screaming about what an invasion of privacy it is for Nationwide to ask why they're sending money somewhere.
    Same for Santander. And yes, I have seen people screaming blue murder, threatening to leave, demanding compensation etc etc
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You must be joking. It neither stops the scammers, nor would it be acceptable to account holders.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure