Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 11th Jun 19, 2:15 PM
    • 190Posts
    • 83Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell my employer it has overpaid me?
    • 11th Jun 19, 2:15 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I tell my employer it has overpaid me? 11th Jun 19 at 2:15 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

A few months ago I started a new role, in return for an 'acting-up' allowance. This was paid correctly the first month, but for the following two months they incorrectly added it to my base salary, and still paid a separate acting-up allowance on top.

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 11th Jun 19, 2:18 PM
    • 2,677 Posts
    • 4,403 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 11th Jun 19, 2:18 PM
    Seriously ?? How many of 'my employer overpaid me - do I need to pay it back ?' do we need ?
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 11th Jun 19, 2:18 PM
    • 7,228 Posts
    • 7,872 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    Of course you should tell them, it's theft if you keep it knowing that it's a mistake
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • KatrinaWaves
    • By KatrinaWaves 11th Jun 19, 2:21 PM
    • 661 Posts
    • 1,184 Thanks
    KatrinaWaves
    • 11th Jun 19, 2:21 PM
    • 11th Jun 19, 2:21 PM
    Legal dilemmas shouldnt be included in these so called 'moral dilemma's

Its not a dilemma. Legally they will owe the money so do they want their job?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Jun 19, 2:39 PM
    • 22,823 Posts
    • 18,832 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 11th Jun 19, 2:39 PM
    • 11th Jun 19, 2:39 PM
    I think it might be better to rename this Money Amoral Dilemma, because for any normal person there is never a dilemma to be addressed.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Jun 19, 3:47 PM
    • 34,406 Posts
    • 21,756 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 11th Jun 19, 3:47 PM
    • 11th Jun 19, 3:47 PM
    Yes it should be paid back, if you have spent some of the money then let your employer know and agree to a payment plan.
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 11th Jun 19, 4:14 PM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 788 Thanks
    Marcon
    • 11th Jun 19, 4:14 PM
    • 11th Jun 19, 4:14 PM
    Before posting this sort of non-dilemma, you might like to check how many times it has already cropped up and been answered on this forum.
    • JCS1
    • By JCS1 11th Jun 19, 5:12 PM
    • 3,901 Posts
    • 7,904 Thanks
    JCS1
    • 11th Jun 19, 5:12 PM
    • 11th Jun 19, 5:12 PM
    Before posting this sort of non-dilemma, you might like to check how many times it has already cropped up and been answered on this forum.
    Originally posted by Marcon

They don't do that though...……………..
    • Kentish Dave
    • By Kentish Dave 11th Jun 19, 6:21 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    Kentish Dave
    • 11th Jun 19, 6:21 PM
    • 11th Jun 19, 6:21 PM
    Do the people who write these facile items not understand basic English? A moral dilemma means that two or more choices each cause moral problems.

There is no moral dilemma here, only a question of basic honesty and decency.
    • marich
    • By marich 11th Jun 19, 8:44 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    marich
    Deeper doo- doo awaits ! if you don't !
    If you have been overpaid you will have to pay it back - fact . This might be allowed to be phased over some months but that fact is fact.

So , if you think something is 'wrong' then it is in your own interest to query it with your employer as soon as you think it .

Otherwise it might start to look as if you are either stupid , unobservant or dishonest - not qualities being looked for in someone blessed with an 'acting up' position !

Get real - NOW !

Dilemma - mon cul (as some would say) !
    • cjv
    • By cjv 11th Jun 19, 9:19 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    cjv
    I check my wages every month.

If I am underpaid I inform my employer, I would do the same if I am overpaid.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
    • wonko
    • By wonko 11th Jun 19, 10:13 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    wonko
    Absolutely yes - and quickly!
    I was/am in this position. Following my leaving the company, it emerged they had indeed overpaid me. I sought advise on here and other places and you are legally obliged to repay any additional amounts.

However, I figured I would drag it out a bit and see where it went – before agreeing to pay back the full amount. This resulted in being contacted by a debt collection agency who ultimately threatened to force the sale of my home in order to effect their clients refund. Naturally I capitulated well before that point but lets face it, if I were still employed and knowing what I do now, I think it better to tell them than let them find out and chase you – you’ll probably pick up a few smarty points with your employer and not face the doom and gloom of what may transpire.

So the message here is fess up, pay up or face the ramifications that are not pleasant.
    • Jacl
    • By Jacl 11th Jun 19, 10:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Jacl
    Of course you should tell your employer, it is fraud and bad faith to hold onto money that you know is not yours and is an error. If it is discovered and you haven't been honest with your employer how would it look, you could even loose your job! Is it worth holding on to an over-payment to risk your employment and employment ability as you certainly wouldn't get a reference..
    • REJP
    • By REJP 11th Jun 19, 10:21 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    REJP
    Overpayment by employer
    Not this old chestnut again!
    Of course you tell your employer about the error. Proves your honest, you might even get a raise as a result. Let your employer find out you knew you had been wrongly overpaid, and did not report it, you might get sacked for dishonesty, plus a reference that does not get you a new job.
    Yes, I know you can't be given a bad reference these days, but they can be less than enthusiastic about you.
    Keeping the overpayment deliberately is theft.
    • REJP
    • By REJP 11th Jun 19, 10:25 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    REJP
    Overpayment "dilemma".
    It has appeared several times already.
    • MaureenMcK
    • By MaureenMcK 11th Jun 19, 10:36 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    MaureenMcK
    Why is this even a question? This is black and white, right and wrong. OF COURSE you must tell.
    • JillieA
    • By JillieA 12th Jun 19, 12:29 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    JillieA
    Goodness me, what a po-faced lot of advisers we have this time! Notwithstanding the legality issue, yes it is a Moral Dilemma, because Honesty is a moral issue.
    Having said that, I think Marich has hit it dead right. If you don't notice that your pay contains double the 'acting' payment, you are showing yourself too dim to have the position, or of dubious honesty which will certainly reduce the level to which they value you.
    Of course it is illegal to keep money you know doesn't belong to you but no doubt that would resolve itself fairly quickly when the firm spots that they have overpaid you. However at that point, it is too late to save your reputation for honesty (or dishonesty!) Your good name is worth more to you.
    • eao
    • By eao 12th Jun 19, 5:24 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    eao
    Think hard about this; you might just be able to get away with this but go the whole hog....is there anything else sitting around that you could purloin,
    a laptop, a fire extinguisher, in fact anything portable and not chained down.
    • FiConno
    • By FiConno 12th Jun 19, 6:55 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    FiConno
    Absolutely. They will find it out they will sue if necessary and you can be taken to small claims to get it back. Of course by that time you really have shown you are dishonest and should be sacked
    • KatrinaWaves
    • By KatrinaWaves 12th Jun 19, 6:58 AM
    • 661 Posts
    • 1,184 Thanks
    KatrinaWaves
    Goodness me, what a po-faced lot of advisers we have this time! Notwithstanding the legality issue, yes it is a Moral Dilemma, because Honesty is a moral issue.
    Having said that, I think Marich has hit it dead right. If you don't notice that your pay contains double the 'acting' payment, you are showing yourself too dim to have the position, or of dubious honesty which will certainly reduce the level to which they value you.
    Of course it is illegal to keep money you know doesn't belong to you but no doubt that would resolve itself fairly quickly when the firm spots that they have overpaid you. However at that point, it is too late to save your reputation for honesty (or dishonesty!) Your good name is worth more to you.
    Originally posted by JillieA
    I’d rather listen to these ‘po faced’ accurate opinions than the opinions of those who only bother with the site after an email to post on some ridiculous ‘moral dilemma’

These people are here giving accurate advice everyday. These ‘moral dilemmas’ should stay over on the marriage board where people like pandering and nonsense.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,487Posts Today

7,419Users online

Martin's Twitter