Poundland Bargain Thread -

Options

Comments

• LouLou
    LouLou Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 June 2019 at 11:43PM
    Options
    From Argyle Street, Glasgow, some Father's Day stuff and other items.

"Cool Pop", "World's Greatest Farter I Mean Father", "Dad, You The Man", "Caution Subject To Outbursts Of Embarrassing Jokes", "Best Bank Ever", £1rUvxQyb.jpg?1
    "#1 Dad" and "Dad, You The Man", re-useable coffee mugs, £1N46dzyW.jpg?1
    Nivea Men Sport Shower Gel 250ml
    and lots of Nivea Body Shaving Products: Shaving Gel 200ml, After Shave Lotion 240ml, Shaving Stick 75ml, £1 eachtUjEQsE.jpg?1
    Don't like these at all, 6+ months BPA Free "Moustache" Soother, £1
    se8fnXS.jpg?1
    Kind On Skin Fun Foam, Bathtime Soap, Paraben Free 225ml, £134HMbBe.jpg?1
    A few of those £2 Garden Forks still remain
    osMkD8X.jpg?1
    Peter Davison, 'Is There Life Outside The Box? An Actor Despairs' Hardback, £1
    eybXKI2.jpg?1
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Argyle Street, Glasgow must be a very large branch, and maybe something of a flagship store?

I look at these posts with some degree of envy - none of this stuff ever seems to filter down to the smaller stores, and I rarely ever find anything worth buying these days.

Poundland used to be great (I'm talking 5+ years ago) but the buyers seem to have lost the knack (or maybe the price point's wrong) and the stuff these days in the smaller stores seems to be just a pile of junk not worth buying.
  • LouLou
    edited 10 June 2019 at 12:36PM
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Argyle Street, Glasgow must be a very large branch, and maybe something of a flagship store?
    Argyle Street was an old Woolworths - though Poundland is only on one floor rather than Woolies' two floors. It is Glasgow's biggest store (as far as I know) but there's a smattering of much-smaller stores all around the city centre, I try to visit them all.

This store also stocks Pep & Co clothing smaller stores don't have the space for (I'm guessing).

It's very much an, it depends, situation. I find things I don't see in Argyle Street elsewhere, and many of the same items are in the little stores. All very random, as is the way with Poundland.

Argyle Street is typically open till 10pm (9pm on Sundays!) so it's much easier for me to catch it when it's open!

Obviously I have no idea what Poundland stores stock nationwide, so I post on here in the vague assumption they have similar items - judging by my own experience.

Online-wise, stores such as poundshop dot com and onlinepoundshop (not sure of others, those are the two I've purchased from - but postage can be hefty) has some things Poundland also sells. OneBelow isn't quite as similar at the moment, as Poundland vs Poundworld was, but I think that'll change.

(Edit: Feel I made a similar comment ages ago, so apologies if I'm repeating myself).

PS: Really nit-picking, but I wish Argyle Street hadn't done away with the trolleys at the entrance, I miss them! Jamaica Street around the corner is a hotbed of trouble with warring teens, so that may be why - and the ne'er do-wells that wander around the city centre in general.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 11 June 2019 at 4:42PM
    Options
    Foot peels

I saw these in the shop and see you have been discussing them on here. I have been using them from years. I love them its really [STRIKE]gross[/STRIKE] satisfying seeing the skin come off. I use one around every 2-3 months, some brands are better than others. I got a poundland one to try I am gutted I won't be able to test it for at least a month, I hope if its good they are still selling them so I can stock up.

If anyone is thinking of trying them -some tips:
    soak feet in warm water before hand
    coat top of foot in Vaseline so the peeling liquid does not go where you don't want it
    Put sandwich bags over the included plastic 'socks' as liquid can leak out
    put on a pair of old cotton socks to keep everything in place, then over that a pair of thermal/slipper socks to keep the heat in.
    Leave for what is says on the packet
    wash off
    Do not use any moisturiser on feet until after peeling has finished, your skin may feel tight this is normal and means it is working soon after the skin will start to 'crack' and the peeling start.
    You should not peel the skin yourself but its very hard to resist :)

I have had good ones peel after only 1 day and some that don't even peel at all.

NOTE: not suitable for diabetics or on cuts / sensitive skin.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Foot peels

I saw these in the shop and see you have been discussing them on here. I have been using them from years. I love them its really [STRIKE]gross[/STRIKE] satisfying seeing the skin come off. I use one around every 2-3 months, some brands are better than others. I got a poundland one to try I am gutted I won't be able to test it for at least a month, I hope if its good they are still selling them so I can stock up.

If anyone is thinking of trying them -some tips:
    soak feet in warm water before hand
    coat top of foot in Vaseline so the peeling liquid does not go where you don't want it
    Put sandwich bags over the included plastic 'socks' as liquid can leak out
    put on a pair of old cotton socks to keep everything in place, them over that a pair of thermal/slipper socks to keep the heat in.

wait and watch them peel :) I have had good ones peel after only 1 day and some that don't even peel at all.
    Can I just add the disclaimer - such products are NOT suitable for people with diabetes, whether you feel ok or not.

Can't wait to try one myself!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 11 June 2019 at 4:40PM
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Can I just add the disclaimer - such products are NOT suitable for people with diabetes, whether you feel ok or not.

Can't wait to try one myself!

Ok added along with some more tips I remembered. There are no disclaimers on my ebay Chinese import versions :o The Poundland packet doesn't say anything about diabetics :eek: which I imagnie is a big error on their behalf.
  • LouLou
    edited 13 June 2019 at 10:55PM
    Options
    Argyle Street, Glasgow:
    Storage Baskets (that rattan design, in an oval shape/navy colour, and rectangular/cream colour), £1 each.
    2YsUv0u.jpg?1
    Loyd Mint Time (Peppermint & Spearmint) x 20 teabags 40g, £1
    dj5uR75.jpg?1
    Trongate, Glasgow:
    Thought these were really cute, Melon or Lemon ceramic dishes, £1 (similarish size to the Zebra ones that are out there)
    mtqP7RW.jpg?1
    Probably old news but only just spotted these - Twin Peaks Honeycomb Crisp 180g, £1 (I know these are a bit "Marmite", I quite like them)
    QlBI1JI.jpg?1
    Some Cadbury's Dairy Milk varieties, £1 each: Raspberry Shortcake
    22E0q92.jpg?1
    Simply The Zest (Orange) 110g or Choca-Latte 110g
    sW9nDwe.jpg?1
    Edit 13th June: These Cadbury's bars are 99p in Home Bargains.
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    LouLou wrote: »
    Simply The Zest (Orange) 110g or Choca-Latte 110g
    sW9nDwe.jpg?1
    Why am I still tempted by the Choca-Latte even though I know Cadbury's has wrecked the chocolate? Head-testing time...starting with the tastebuds :o

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Why am I still tempted by the Choca-Latte even though I know Cadbury's has wrecked the chocolate? Head-testing time...starting with the tastebuds :o

Not even as if it's that cheap either at £1 for 110g!
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    The Derma v-10 foot masks are not easy to track down. When I looked in my local the other day, there was another peppermint foot mask (20 mins) masquerading in its place. I was not fooled.

I also noticed a generic version of Zoflora - the large size was just £1 but it was limited to 2 scents: cotton fresh and country bouquet (or similar). Has anyone tried it?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback