Charity doorstep collection

Options

Comments

• Claddagh_Noir
    Claddagh_Noir Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I never use those bags for 'charity' because half the time, the charities are bogus. I use them as bin liners.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I only ever put stuff out for the local Air Ambulance Charity as they are the only ones who collect themselves and the stuff goes directly to the shops. I’ve just given 6 big bags of stuff to the BHF who I arranged a collection with and they popped a docket through my door to confirm collection which I was impressed with.
    All of the scam bags as I call them are just binned.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 May 2019 at 8:38AM
    Options
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    I only ever put stuff out for the local Air Ambulance Charity as they are the only ones who collect themselves and the stuff goes directly to the shops. I’ve just given 6 big bags of stuff to the BHF who I arranged a collection with and they popped a docket through my door to confirm collection which I was impressed with.
    All of the scam bags as I call them are just binned.

Just to let you know I once volunteered for an air ambulance charity, and it definitely didn't go directly to the shops.The staff weren't aware of it, in general, but it went to the ubiquitous sorting hub owned by a third party and the air ambulance got a pittance.They don't shout about this.

This is how they phrase it on one site
    Look out for one of our clothing bags dropping onto your doormat. Simply fill it up with your unwanted clothes, bags and shoes – we’ll collect it and turn it into cash to fund our vital services.

Some of the items you give will go on sale in our charity boutiques, and others will be sold on our behalf. We raise a fantastic £105 per tonne for everything collected.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This explains it
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/aug/31/charity-bags-doorsteps-sold-abroad

"In some cases charities are getting £50 to £100 a tonne of goods collected when, in fact, the goods can sell abroad for anything up to £1,800 a tonne. This is now a lucrative industry, with householders inundated with charity bags as firms chase millions of pounds of profits from the trade.

The poll by the BHF showed 70% of the charity bags an average householder receives are from commercial companies.

But 65% of those polled were not aware these commercial companies exist and mistakenly thought all of the money raised goes to good causes.

When householders were told of the arrangement, the BHF said 85% of them felt "shocked, cheated and disheartened".
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I make sure the items I no longer want go to the charity of my choice (local hospice) by taking them in person.

I wish there was a way to stop these bags being pushed through my door.

I don't use them for anything as they are flimsy and have holes in so no good for bin bags.
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I make sure the items I no longer want go to the charity of my choice (local hospice) by taking them in person.

I wish there was a way to stop these bags being pushed through my door.

I don't use them for anything as they are flimsy and have holes in so no good for bin bags.

Last year my neighbour who thinks these collections are going to a good cause always puts something into these bags for collecting from her doorstep.

This time she put it out at midnight and about 8 am she noticed that the bag had been opened and the contents thrown all over her doorstep and part of the drive. She said it may have been foxes.

A neighbour over the road has cctv and i told him about her and he went through the footage and it turned out it 2 people at about 5:30am went tor her house and ripped open the bag and went through the contents and took 3 or 4 items and then they went 2 doors down and done the same.

After looking at the cctv he went and looked at the street and every one of the bags that were put out were opened and thrown all over the place.

She reported it to the police and after a month she called back and was told there was nothing they could do and the case closed.

Now 90% of our street will now put anything out in these bags but call BHF who come out and collect stuff from our street on the same day.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Boohoo wrote: »
    Last year my neighbour who thinks these collections are going to a good cause always puts something into these bags for collecting from her doorstep.

This time she put it out at midnight and about 8 am she noticed that the bag had been opened and the contents thrown all over her doorstep and part of the drive. She said it may have been foxes.

A neighbour over the road has cctv and i told him about her and he went through the footage and it turned out it 2 people at about 5:30am went tor her house and ripped open the bag and went through the contents and took 3 or 4 items and then they went 2 doors down and done the same.

After looking at the cctv he went and looked at the street and every one of the bags that were put out were opened and thrown all over the place.

She reported it to the police and after a month she called back and was told there was nothing they could do and the case closed.

Now 90% of our street will now put anything out in these bags but call BHF who come out and collect stuff from our street on the same day.
    That's why I won't put clothes out on my doorstep.

I'm usually around the village most days so I just fill my shopping trolley and make the hospice shop my first port of call.
  • Februarycat
    Februarycat Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I have not had any problems with them not collecting on the day, but they do collect them early, I usually put the bag out as soon as I get up and most times its gone by 8-9am.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ive never seen a van come round for bags people leave out, granted I don't sit at the window but I can hear vans who have to turn round as its a cul de sac.

I don wonder if they collect them as indicated on the bag.
  • martinthebandit
    martinthebandit Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As a general rule of thumb, anything unsolicited that comes through your letterbox is a scam, including charity bags.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback