PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

LISAs vs HTB ISAs - Conveyancing fees

Options
Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are looking to buy our first home together in the coming months, we both have Lifetime ISAs set up.

I've come across a discrepancy while looking for quotes from conveyancers for our first home - I filled out a generic market comparison form and filled out a field that said we both have Help to Buy ISAs (Lifetime ISAs weren't an option on the site) and the cheapest quote was ~£1200 (£100 fee for each ISA).

I then went to the solicitor's own website and filled in the same details but specified that we'll be using Lifetime ISAs - the quote then came out at ~£1500. The breakdown of the fees showed £250 processing for each LISA.

Does anyone know if LISAs are indeed more expensive for solicitors to process, or should I just contact them to ask what gives?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Emanresu321
    Options
    Solicitors are allowed to charge £60 max for each H2B ISA - can't imagine that a LISA would attract a wildly different fee?
  • locken
    locken Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Apologies, the fee is actually £250 for both LISAs. Still a lot higher than the £100 quoted for the 2 HTB ISAs!
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Tell them f off. There is no extra work, less infact. Mine didn't charge anything
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mine didn't charge any extra.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • SarahB89
    SarahB89 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    We've been quoted £75+VAT per LISA. Apparently the solicitor has had an awful experience with them so far, hence the charge.
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    SarahB89 wrote: »
    We've been quoted £75+VAT per LISA. Apparently the solicitor has had an awful experience with them so far, hence the charge.
    My heart bleeds....no it doesn't. It is a simple process and your solicitor is either having you on or doesn't understand what a LISA is which would worry me
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • locken
    locken Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks all, I'll give them a ring and tell them to trot on if it's the LISA causing the issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure