Chip App not taking 'saves' by DD until 2nd jan

Zanderman
Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
edited 13 May 2019 at 11:23AM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Update May 2019: The Chip app has now moved to debit card transactions, manual saves by DD are already unavailable and autosaves by DD are being withdrawn soon. So it will no longer be a useful tool for generating DDs.

Original post - which was about changes after Christmas: Just a heads up, though it's too late if it affects you!

Chip have recently suspended saves until 2nd Jan whilst they 'upgrade their save provider' - whatever that means.

Not a big issue really except for those, like me, who were using saves to work as DDs for accounts that need DDs for interest and/or bonuses. If you're one of those and you haven't done it this month yet you've missed your chance.

And I'm sure I read something about Chip wanting to migrate to instant transfers - i.e. not DDs? If that's what this 'upgrade' is about it's bad news for us DD users.

Comments

• surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've been using CHIP to create a weekly direct debit for my Co-Op current account, but have recently set up a weekly direct debit with a Post Office online saver ready for when the 3% interest finishes on CHIP
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 December 2018 at 8:27PM
    Zanderman wrote: »
    Just a heads up, though it's too late if it affects you!

Chip have recently suspended saves until 2nd Jan whilst they 'upgrade their save provider' - whatever that means.

Not a big issue really except for those, like me, who were using saves to work as DDs for accounts that need DDs for interest and/or bonuses. If you're one of those and you haven't done it this month yet you've missed your chance.

And I'm sure I read something about Chip wanting to migrate to instant transfers - i.e. not DDs? If that's what this 'upgrade' is about it's bad news for us DD users.

If the DD comes out of your BoS/Halifax/Halifax current account on 2nd Jan, then it'll qualify as a DD for interest/reward purposes for the December period. (Providing you've met the other requirements).

I don't use Chip but if the DD comes out from 3rd onwards then it won't count for the Dec period.
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • Zanderman
    karlie88 wrote: »
    If the DD comes out of your BoS/Halifax/Halifax current account on 2nd Jan, then it'll qualify as a DD for interest/reward purposes for the December period. (Providing you've met the other requirements).

I don't use Chip but if the DD comes out from 3rd onwards then it won't count for the Dec period.

Interesting point.

But the way chip works (as I understand it) the DD is drawn a few days after instruction, so if they're not taking instruction until 2nd the DD can't count as December.
  • I got notification from CHIP 4 days ago they'd be taking a direct debit from me two days ago. Of course, it didn't happen, but makes me wonder if their systems are still queueing the direct debits up, and will take them when their systems are back up and running. In which case, you might be able to instruct them to do a manual save, but it won't happen until 2nd January?
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Zanderman
    I got notification from CHIP 4 days ago they'd be taking a direct debit from me two days ago. Of course, it didn't happen, but makes me wonder if their systems are still queueing the direct debits up, and will take them when their systems are back up and running. In which case, you might be able to instruct them to do a manual save, but it won't happen until 2nd January?

If you try a manual save you just get the message saying no saves until 2nd Jan. You can't start a save at present.
  • Zanderman
    Update May 2019: The Chip app has now moved to debit card transactions, manual saves by DD are already unavailable and autosaves by DD are being withdrawn soon. So it will no longer be a useful tool for generating DDs.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 May 2019 at 4:34PM
    Any idea how they will be moving money out of people's current accounts if not by DD? Will it go via a continuous Debit Card authority?

Their FAQ still refers to DDs only.
  • Zanderman
    colsten wrote: »
    Any idea how they will be moving money out of people's current accounts if not by DD? Will it go via a continuous Debit Card authority?

I assume it's CPA, can't think what other method they can use.
  • Zanderman
    colsten wrote: »

I assume it's CPA, can't think what other method they can use.

Their email announcements says:
    Soon Chip will stop working for you

Hi

We've made a big decision:

Soon the only way you will be able to save with Chip is by connecting your card. We're planning to phase out Direct Debits.

Our big Chip 2.0 update introduced ‘instant saves’, which moves your money via card payment, instead of the old way using Direct Debits.

We’ve tested the two methods and found that everything works better for our savers who have connected their card; fewer bugs, more control over their money, faster and simpler saves, we could go on!

How to connect your card

Just open Chip and head to:

Account > Connected account > Bank card

And add the debit card for the bank account you've connected to Chip.

Why are we changing things?
    The bottom line is we're doing it for you, it will make using Chip much simpler and more stable for you.

If you want to read more about why we’re making connecting your card necessary, check out our blog post here.

If you need any support, or have any further questions, just reply to this email or head into Live Chat in your Chip app.

I've queried this in live chat and in emails pointing out I don't want to use card payments and that I think removing all DDs is a backward step (instead of the more obvious giving users the choice, card or DD) but they are adamant that card is the only way. I've given up arguing as it won't change their minds!
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Zanderman wrote: »

I've queried this in live chat and in emails pointing out I don't want to use card payments and that I think removing all DDs is a backward step (instead of the more obvious giving users the choice, card or DD) but they are adamant that card is the only way. I've given up arguing as it won't change their minds!
    I suspect some of the banks were/are leaning heavily on them as they want to eradicate the DIY DDs.

Moving from DD to CPA is really a backwards step for us users as we have a lot less control over CPAs than over DDs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure