PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlords is removing items before we move in

Hello,

A few weeks ago we found a flat that was advertised through an estate agent. During the viewing we asked if all the furnishings and the TV would stay and the agent said yes.
After signing the tenancy agreement, we had another viewing to check what we would need as furnitures and again the agent told us everything would stay.

A few days before moving in, the agent then informed us that they received an email from the landlord and that he's going to remove the TV, the garden furniture, 2 lamps and a rug.
We argued to the agency that we were told everything would stay but the landlord won't budge and the agency say they cannot do anything. They offered £100 as compensation but this is far from enough to replace what has been removed.

Has anyone been in this situation? Do you know what we can do?

Comments

• BurnCK
    BurnCK Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I would suspect it depends what's stated in your tenancy agreement. If it's not in the tenancy agreement / inventory checklist, then you probably can't do anything about it. If it is, then I would guess the LL is in breach of contract.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If this is what he is like already then I'd be looking at ways to remove myself from this contract which, as mentioned above, may already have been breached.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 May 2019 at 12:45PM
    I have read previously that if the LL supplies the TV then they could also be liable for payment of the TV licence unless it is very clearly defined in the tenancy agreement.I suspect the LL has removed the TV for that reason.

With regard to the garden furniture,you're hardly going to use that everyday and TBH I would have though if you want some chairs to sit on if the weather is nice then something from IKEA would be very easy to pick up,plus you don't then have the problem about needing to return everything in good order at the end of the tenancy.

Accept the £100 I think its quite a generous offer considering that you can then go and do with it what you wish...a rug and a couple of lamps again should be fairly easy to pick up reasonably cheaply and when you leave you can take them with you.

As a LL I always try not to leave too many things in the properties I rent simply because tenants don't want my choice of things and a lot of soft furnishings are reasonably cheap and as a tenant you get to choose how the property is furnished.

The couple of student houses that my offspring has rented in the last 3 years have all been full of mismatched tatt which quite frankly became more of a chore to keep it functioning during the tenancies.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • If it's in the agreement then yes they should stay. Why should you go and buy stuff when the landlord could do exactly the same.
  • Op - check it's on the inventory.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ultimately, the only list of furnishings that matters is what's on the inventory when you move in. That's what needs to be there when you move out.

A hundred quid should be more than enough to replace a used TV, used garden furniture, a pair of used lamps and a used rug. And you'd then get to keep those and take them with you when you move again!
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    I have read previously that if the LL supplies the TV then they could also be liable for payment of the TV licence unless it is very clearly defined in the tenancy agreement.
    Where did you read that? If TV Licensing don't think they've got the right to pursue the landlord then it seems unlikely to be accurate advice:

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ47

Ah - interestingly they provide contradictory advice on another page:

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/business-and-organisations/residential-landlords-aud15
  • need_an_answer
    edited 17 May 2019 at 2:00PM
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Where did you read that? If TV Licensing don't think they've got the right to pursue the landlord then it seems unlikely to be accurate advice:

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ47

Ah - interestingly they provide contradictory advice on another page:

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/business-and-organisations/residential-landlords-aud15

yep your second link.....hence I can see that potentially the LL might want to remove the TV prior to the rental start.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    yep your second link.....hence I can see that potentially the LL might want to remove the TV prior to the rental start.
    Rather easier just to stick a clause in the tenancy agreement about it though? Rather than pee off the tenant by showing them a nice telly and then whisking it away before they move in.
  • need_an_answer
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Rather easier just to stick a clause in the tenancy agreement about it though? Rather than pee off the tenant by showing them a nice telly and then whisking it away before they move in.

which is what I suggested in my original post
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business