Default notice

Options
Hi. Nearly two years ago I was a bit shocked to find I had a debt with Halifax bank. I found this out when I did a credit check using Noddle (as this was free). The debt turned out to be a joint bank account I had with a previous partner from back in 2002 which I was not aware I was even on. We parted in 2015, not on good terms. We have since had a financial settlement, not in court but from her solicitors letter. This included the the house settlement and the closure of our Lloyd’s joint account. She forgot to mention this joint Halifax account!

Anyway, to get to the point, the account is in default and the debt has remained the same since 2017. I have no intention of paying off her debt as I have had nothing to do with this account and no access to it. The debt was run up after we parted. I now live on a boat travelling the country, do not own a house and have no debts and not even a fixed address or on an electoral roll. In fact, I still have three unused credit card with around £15000 credit available but do not require any credit or ever will. I am now happily married and retired. I consider myself very lucky but still annoyed about this debt.

If the debt balance is remaining static, does this mean she is paying off the interest?

What will happen if the debt is not paid off? I guess this has severely affected her credit rating too?

I have no intention of contacting her to ask, by the way.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You're both jointly responsible for joint accounts.

However if you had no knowledge of it you need to report it to Action Fraud, which could then have legal implications.

Failing that it will stay on your credit files for 6 years from the date it defaulted unless it gets to a CCJ in which case it will be another 6 years from the date the CCJ was applied.
  • Rob9fla
    Rob9fla Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks. Yes, i did know both were responsible for joint accounts. I won't bother to go to Action Fraud. For two reasons really. There improbably is a signature with Halifax from back in 2002 as we had mortgage things going on back then and i probably signed for the joint account (but never used it) and, secondly, I find it best to keep a low profile and not raise my head above the parapet! She still lives at the account address and thats where the bank have my address.Oh, thirdly, I don't have the money anyway. Its just over £4k
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Then you'll be jointly responsible for it then until it falls off your file 6 years form default or if it gets to a CCJ.

The decision is yours really what to do next.
  • Rob9fla
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, I understand. I can see the debt has been frozen. That is, it’s been at £4K for over a year. Do you think she might be paying Halifax the interest? She’s in a high powered job and unlikely to want court action. Thanks again
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Halifax will have just frozen the account so no more interest will be added.
  • Rob9fla
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Many thanks for the replies. I’m not worried in the least. I’ll just wait 6 years!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just because the account is frozen doesn't negate from the fact that the money is still owed.
    It is and will be and will likely got to a CCJ for that amount.

Also, regardless of her being in a high-powered job, honestly, tough.

Fraud is fraud regardless of who you are.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Rob9fla wrote: »
    a joint bank account I had with a previous partner from back in 2002 which I was not aware I was even on.

You must have known you were on it because you had to sign for it.
    If you didn't sign for it then this is criminal fraud and I would let the police know.
  • Rob9fla
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If I signed for the account, it was back in 2002. I can hardly remember what happened last week!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Rob9fla wrote: »
    If I signed for the account, it was back in 2002. I can hardly remember what happened last week!

It's certainly one of the things I would remember doing...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure