IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Ticket in Own Parking Space

Options
Hello, hoping someone can offer some advice.

Have just read the Newbies thread and think I have made a horrific decision. I have paid the astronomical parking fine.

I am looking to buy a house in the next 6-9 months and can't afford to have a blemish on my credit file, like a CCJ. Know the reasons don't really matter when helping to contribute to organised crime, but I may have a semi solution.

My car parking space is rented from the property management company that have instructed the cowboy car parking company to operate in the private parking area.

The contract is extremely poor and just says £XXX per month for parking space rental, then the bay number and date, which can be cancelled with 2 weeks notice.

Is it possible to cancel the parking contract and withhold the same amount as the parking charge? Then say that I already paid that as a parking charge for the month and if they need the money to recover it from the car parking company?

Possibly a bit keen, but I know the people that work in my building and this will probably be the only way to get their attention. I also want to leave the parking space and park nearby as a FU to the system, cheaper as well so good riddance! :mad:

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,683 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The contract is extremely poor and just says £XXX per month for parking space rental, then the bay number and date, which can be cancelled with 2 weeks notice.

Is it possible to cancel the parking contract and withhold the same amount as the parking charge? Then say that I already paid that as a parking charge for the month and if they need the money to recover it from the car parking company?
    Yes in theory it's possible. But the Managing Agents might sue you for it, as a breach of contract case, because what you are withholding is the sum for rental.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2019 at 8:52AM
    Options
    Have just read the Newbies thread and think I have made a horrific decision. I have paid the astronomical parking fine.

Read this

https://parking-prankster.blogspot.com/2016/11/residential-parking.html

It is not a fine, it is an invoive for the damage they claim to have suffered when you allegedly breached an alleged contract. We call it a scam.

Write politely to the scammer asking for a refund, they will ignore. Next send them a letter before action for the amount paid..

https://www.rocketlawyer.co.uk/documents-and-forms/letter-before-action.rlm?msclkid=babfa646e763171a0e6dfa988279e715&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BSN%20-%20Letter%20before%20action&utm_term=letter%20before%20action%20template&utm_content=Exact%20-%20Letter%20before%20action

If they ignore that you can ether issue a court claim, or put it down to experience. In either case, complain to your MP. as nine times out of ten these tickets are scams and would fail in court..

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,035 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can't understand why you feel OK with entering into a wrangle with the management company which is unlikely to work, and yet caved in with scammers, who incidentally could not just give you a CCJ on your credit file anyway.

You don't say who the PPC is and you would have been better coming here sooner, but I think you have been mugged and need to put it behind you. Good luck anyway.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    you have been mugged and need to put it behind you.

Come on FJ, you can do better than that.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,035 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    you have been mugged and need to put it behind you.

Come on FJ, you can do better than that.

I know TD I'm giving in!:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport