Will my ESA get stooped if i move in with my partner who works?

Hi,
I am looking for a bit of advice as we are both stumped on what to do!
I am currently on ESA and have been for 3 years now under the support group, i receive £148 fortnightly and I am on high rate care and mobility on PIP. My partner is off sick at the moment however he usually works full time and earns just over a thousand a month, we are looking to move in together however we have been told my ESA may be taken off me as my partner works and is seen as being able to care for me financially which isn't the case, has anyone been through the same thing and been able to keep their benefits? we are looking at renting off the local council and paying the rent ourselves so im not sure whether that changes anything as we wont be applying for housing benefits or any other kind of benefits any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Comments

• Have you tried putting your details into a benefits calculator like "turn2us" or "entitled to" ?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Mm1997 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am looking for a bit of advice as we are both stumped on what to do!
    I am currently on ESA and have been for 3 years now under the support group, i receive £148 fortnightly and I am on high rate care and mobility on PIP. My partner is off sick at the moment however he usually works full time and earns just over a thousand a month, we are looking to move in together however we have been told my ESA may be taken off me as my partner works and is seen as being able to care for me financially which isn't the case, has anyone been through the same thing and been able to keep their benefits? we are looking at renting off the local council and paying the rent ourselves so im not sure whether that changes anything as we wont be applying for housing benefits or any other kind of benefits any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!
    The amount that you're receiving doesn't suggest that it's the Support Group you're in, or are you having deductions taken from your ESA? Do you live alone at the moment? is anyone claiming carers allowance for looking after you?

Please check the ESA amount you're receiving because no one can advise you correctly without the right information.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Apart from confirming the amount of your ESA you need to check whether it is all income based or whether it is contribution based with an income based top up. If it includes a contribution based part this will not be affected.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Mm1997
    Mm1997 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I have tried but it says im not even entitled to ESA which i do currently receive haha! and it can be quite confusing.
  • Mm1997
    I thought the same but i spoke to someone from the department as I've been on it for 3 years, never had an assessment and still have to go to the doctors for sick notes which is exhausting in its own right. I'm wondering whether someone has messed up somewhere or im missing in the system as it is a little strange, all they said was that it seems im in the support group, I cant imagine it being contribution based as I'm only 22 and have worked a total of 3 months in my life due to my disabilities so i dont think id of contributed enough maybe?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    Mm1997 wrote: »
    I thought the same but i spoke to someone from the department as I've been on it for 3 years, never had an assessment and still have to go to the doctors for sick notes which is exhausting in its own right. I'm wondering whether someone has messed up somewhere or im missing in the system as it is a little strange, all they said was that it seems im in the support group, I cant imagine it being contribution based as I'm only 22 and have worked a total of 3 months in my life due to my disabilities so i dont think id of contributed enough maybe?
    Something isn't right here. If you were in the Support Group then you would be receiving more money than that.

The amount you're receiving is Under 25 rate of £57.90 per week and the Enhanced disability premium of £16.80 per week. Which is a total of £149.40 every fortnight.

As you're still sending in sick notes then you can't be in the Support Group, you must still be on assessment rate. You need to ring them back and ask why you haven't been sent for a work capability assessment.

Do you live alone at the moment?

Going back to your question, because you've only worked for 3 months then you'll be claiming Income Related ESA. This means that if you move in with your partner because they work more than 24 hours per week, you won't be entitled to claim ESA and your money will stop.

You maybe able to claim Universal Credit as a couple and claim the housing element through that.

I'd advise a visit to your local CAB for a full benefits check.

Your PIP will not be affected.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Just because it shouldn't be necessary to send in sick notes once placed in the Support Group or WRAG, it doesn't mean that they aren't still being requested. When I worked on ESA we had regular instances of people still getting letters requesting sick notes long after being placed in the groups. After 3 years it's unlikely, although not impossible, that the OP is still in the assessment phase. Claims do get stuck in the system and not progressed as they should be. The OP does need to call ESA and find out exactly what the situation is.
  • Mm1997
    Yes i thought so! I was speaking to a woman from the council and she was going to set up an appointment with a man from the DWP but my anxiety and illnesses have been playing up so haven't been able to speak to them yet. I just find it strange that I've been on it for 3 years and haven't been assessed yet. I live with my mum who is also my carer at the moment. Thanks for your help I'm hoping if it does get took off me then universal credit will be able to help in some way!
  • Mm1997
    Thank you! I'll get my mum to ring them and look into it as it is very strange!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure