UC and Council Tax

Options
Hi moved area and had to move to UC. Does anyone know what amount of Council Tax reduction joint tenants on UC get? Just looked at my letters and the Council tax bill is 3 times as much as I was paying before.
ABCDEFGHIJKL:jNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Comments

• tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You best ring up the council involved - they administer their own reductions or try the website, that should tell you.

Some give 90% assistance some as low as 75%..

It should however say on the bill what you have received since you became entitled to the end of the financial year - 31 March 2020.
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 May 2019 at 7:25PM
    Options
    tboo wrote: »
    Some give 90% assistance some as low as 75%..

A few still give 100%.

OP, generally you need to apply for Council Tax Reduction separately to UC if you have not already done so, although I understand that some local authorities may get referrals from DWP when UC claim is made. The amount of CTR you get will depend on the rules for your local authority will usually be linked to the level of earnings (if any) taken into account when calculating your UC entitlement. I have no idea how local authorities manage to deal with this on a practical level if the earnings fluctuate each month.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • dc64
    dc64 Posts: 350 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you. Do you know if joint tenants both get the same deduction?
    ABCDEFGHIJKL:jNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Submit the applications to the council and they will apply any applicable deductions.

Deductions based on assessment of each application.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure