PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Making a revised offer after a Homebuyers report

Options
Hi.

We negotiated the sale of a property from 164k to 153k. It has since come about, after the homebuyers that there are more works to be done. We could do with either a new roof or fixing the existing roof.

I spoke with the estate agent and told her this and she said that she thought I already knew this and took that into account when I made my offer. I said that I wasn't a professional surveyor (I know nothing!) and how could I have made that judgement call. She then went on to say she doesn't know if the seller will reduce the price.

Firstly we are proceed able. No chain. Seller has had the property on the market for 6 months (long time for the area and kind of property). Seller has had no reasonable offers apart from ours, and therefore hasn't accepted another offer.

I find it infuriating that the state agent implied that I should have known the roof was in need of work.

I think it's totally acceptable to make a raised offer. Don't you agree?

She also said if I had any more questions regarding the property I should go through the solicitor, but if I wanted to make a revised offer then I should do it through her. This sounds like she wants to be in control of the sale and the negotiating rather than the solicitor. She is working for a fixed fee so getting the most for the vendor isn't as much a priority as it would be for a % based fee.

Should I put the revised offer in through my solicitor or through the estate agent?

thanks for reading my blurb! rant over!

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What did the valuation come out at? Less than £153k

The estate agent is right. Money talks through her, property questions through the solicitor.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • luiza8
    luiza8 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Also, we need certificates for the gas and electric. If I get the certificates and pull out of the sale, I don't want the seller to get the certificates. Do the certificates get held on a central database or something that the seller would have access to?
  • luiza8
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    What did the valuation come out at? Less than £153k

The estate agent is right. Money talks through her, property questions through the solicitor.

We paid £20 more than what the surveyor valued the property at, in its current condition.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    luiza8 wrote: »
    Also, we need certificates for the gas and electric. If I get the certificates and pull out of the sale, I don't want the seller to get the certificates. Do the certificates get held on a central database or something that the seller would have access to?

Do you? Why?
    What does the homebuyers valuation say the value is?
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    Options
    we paid £20 more than what the surveyor valued the property at, in its current condition.

£20?

………...
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    . We could do with either a new roof or fixing the existing roof.
    These are two very different things, but neither of them is quantified at present, so you are expecting a reduction based on a vague assertion that 'something' needs to be done.

You need somone qualified to give you an estimate for whatever needs doing in order to gain the best leverage.

On what basis did you negotiate the existing reduction and was it unreasonable for the agent to imagine the roof figured in that?

Remember, she is not working for you, but trying to get the best price for her client, so being 'infuriated' by her might be a little OTT.
  • luiza8
    Options
    The homebuyers report said they were of high severity. While they both looked in good condition but they had to put them down as a 3 (most severe) as there was no certificate to show they're in good condition.

The report says the valuation is £153000 and we had an offer accepted at £153020.
  • need_an_answer
    Options

Not sure why you NEED them...always nice to have them but not an absolute necessity.

A gas safety certificate will be give to you when the inspection is done that would be yours to keep. seller wouldn't get access to it via a central database.

The certification is just a check that clarifies that the boiler system is functioning at the time of testing.

Full electrical testing can again be carried out by whom ever you choose and the findings are yours to keep also.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• luiza8
    Options
    £20?

………...

Yes, we had an offer accepted at £150020 and it was valued from the homebuyer report at 153000
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    The homebuyers report said they were of high severity. While they both looked in good condition but they had to put them down as a 3 (most severe) as there was no certificate to show they're in good condition.

The report says the valuation is £153000 and we had an offer accepted at £153020.

so the property has been valued at £20 less than your offer....its a genuine question,but how much do you want to negotiate the price down by given the fact that the figures are so close?
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills