How to update Operating System

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    icomp wrote: »
    I have an old Vaio that I tried to install Linux on, it worked ok until trying anything with graphics and it wouldn't have it, lost countless hours messing about with it on that issue.

Yeah some of those Vaios used funky SiS and Via graphics chipsets that had little to no support so would use software mode in Linux which would put a picture on the screen but with no hardware acceleration things like watching Youtube could be painful.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

My own PC Has died on me - see other thread (just in case you can help - SO CONFUSED).

I have now come across my dad's old lap top. It is a Sony vaio - it's old but working. Dad only every used it to watch YouTube videos of Doris Day! So no files / docs etc stored.

Unfortunately it has Windows Vista on it so, now Chrome and Explorer don't want to run properly and are no longer supported.

How do I go about removing Vista and replacing with Windows 10?

Many thanks.

What is the full model number? Some VAIO Vista laptops have a free upgrade path to Windows 7/10.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Options
    the problem with some of the hardware around this time, that the cpu supported x64, but it was terribly slow on x64 even if it was linux or win 7, but x32 was ok.

I too would go for mint or MX Linux. However windows licences are only around £3 on ebay, so do not get scalped, and make the choice due to price
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My sil had an HP Laptop with Vista on it.
    I put Linux on for her and it worked fine for 3 or 4 years.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can install windows 10 for free, just dont activate it. You get a little note on the bottom right saying 'activate windows' and a couple of minor features do not work but other than that it works fine.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ... it has Windows Vista on it so, now Chrome and Explorer don't want to run properly and are no longer supported.

Chrome works just fine on both my XP machines, regardless of whether it's supported or not.
  • Terrysdelight
    Terrysdelight Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    What is the full model number? Some VAIO Vista laptops have a free upgrade path to Windows 7/10.

VGN NR38E

Model PCG-7134M
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    VGN NR38E

Model PCG-7134M

Not this one unfortunately. As Niv has stated, you can install Windows 10 without activating it,
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    VGN NR38E

Model PCG-7134M

You could fit an inexpensive SSD to that device, in order to get the best from it.

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/memory/data-storage/ssd-drives.html

As little as £16.95. Since you are going to update the operating system anyway, a perfect time to do it.
    But it is a slight pain in the neck with that particular model; http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-sony-vaio-vgn-nr-laptop/
  • Terrysdelight
    Terrysdelight Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    Options
    Niv wrote: »
    You can install windows 10 for free, just dont activate it. You get a little note on the bottom right saying 'activate windows' and a couple of minor features do not work but other than that it works fine.

Hi

Sorry, I'm not a techie person. What is the reason for installing windows 10 and then not activating it?

I'm currently using my son's laptop until I can get one of my machines fixed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure